It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Advice on Engine Diagnostic Software?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:55 pm 

Does anyone have advice on which diagnostic devices/Software is best or cost effective for 2014 indmar engines?

I am looking in to getting one for the Florida Gulf Coast University because our closest shop is over an hour away. And Diagnosing/resetting the engines codes would be really helpful from time to time.

I was told to get the Diacom Marine Software #94030 (includes MEFI-5 CAN) from Rinda. Any thoughts on them?

FGCU's Rig:
2014 A22
Engine Indmar Monsoon 330 ss

Post subject: Re: Advice on Engine Diagnostic Software?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:51 am 
Team Axis

Diacom from Rinda is the best tool for the job, you'll only need the cable and CanBus adapter unless you want to plug into other boats?

That will allow you to monitor the engine, read/re-set faults etc. but you won't be able to re-calibrate or adjust maps/fuel tables etc.

Only thing I would say that the diagnostics built into the guages of the Axis should do everything you want. If a fault comes up and won't go away (after cycling ignition 3 times) then it needs to go to a dealer or you need parts/repairs. I don't know if Diacom will really get you much further than this, especially as it'll cost a big chunk of $$$'s

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:43 pm 

Axis_UK wrote:
Diacom from Rinda is the best tool for the job, you'll only need the cable and CanBus adapter unless you want to plug into other boats?

That will allow you to monitor the engine, read/re-set faults etc. but you won't be able to re-calibrate or adjust maps/fuel tables etc.

Only thing I would say that the diagnostics built into the guages of the Axis should do everything you want. If a fault comes up and won't go away (after cycling ignition 3 times) then it needs to go to a dealer or you need parts/repairs. I don't know if Diacom will really get you much further than this, especially as it'll cost a big chunk of $$$'s

Thanks for the advice. I can see the error codes in the axis onboard computer, but they won't go away after three starts and I wouldn't know how to test the O2 sensors. I'll look in to it more thou. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:55 am 
Team Axis

Test the O2 sensors with a multimeter and by swapping them across from one side to the other.

What fault code are you seeing? Do you know what ECM you have? Grab me a serial number off the engine if you are unsure and I'll tell you. It's likely that we can solve it here for you without shelling out big dollar for Diacom ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:23 am 
Team Axis

I bought one and it will clear the codes and give you all sorts of data.
viewtopic.php?t=1927

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:28 am 

Axis_UK wrote:
Test the O2 sensors with a multimeter and by swapping them across from one side to the other.

What fault code are you seeing? Do you know what ECM you have? Grab me a serial number off the engine if you are unsure and I'll tell you. It's likely that we can solve it here for you without shelling out big dollar for Diacom ;)

Thanks for the response. The fault codes are:
SPN 65567 FMI 8
SPN 65568 FMI 8

The problem I have with testing them is that both Sensor "A and B" threw the fault codes (According to an indmar Engine service manual). But it doesn't say if its the post catalytic converter or pre catalytic converter, because I can see 4 sensors on the engine. I took a glance at the post catalytic converter but as of right now I don't have the right tool to remove the pre catalytic converter, so I will get to that sometime today.

Engine Serial #: 184443

Picture of Engine serial number:

[img][IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s156/rick_t100/AxisEngineSerieal.jpg[/img][/img]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:42 am 
Team Axis

Cool, OK so I see you are running a MEFI6 ECM, 5.7 motor with cats.

Faults are:
Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 Abnormal Frequency
Oxygen Sensor Bank 2 Sensor 1 Abnormal Frequency

Your fault is showing on bank A and bank B o2 sensors, which makes me think it's unlikely to be a faulty O2 sensor as they're both going down. The engine is unable to trim its air/fuel ratio and monitor the Cats effectively. This is likely resulting in the motor running very rich but could also mean she'll run lean (Very bad!)

This is a more complicated issue that could be any of the following:
Faulty o2 sensors, Faulty ECM, Faulty wiring, bad fuel, poor fuel pressure/delivery due to bad fuel, and fuel pump, water intrusion into wiring, bad fuel injectors, exhaust leak or vacuum leak.

This is one of those rare occasions when you really do need to take this to a dealer. The boats in warranty and so do make the most of it. I'd like to try and guide you through here but at this point, you will need the service manual for the motor, a decent understanding of reading live diacom data and of course the Diacom system. Likely more than it's worth given that someone will fix this for you (unless one of the students filled the boat with bad gas?!).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:55 am 

Axis_UK wrote:
Cool, OK so I see you are running a MEFI6 ECM, 5.7 motor with cats.

Faults are:
Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 Abnormal Frequency
Oxygen Sensor Bank 2 Sensor 1 Abnormal Frequency

Your fault is showing on bank A and bank B o2 sensors, which makes me think it's unlikely to be a faulty O2 sensor as they're both going down. The engine is unable to trim its air/fuel ratio and monitor the Cats effectively. This is likely resulting in the motor running very rich but could also mean she'll run lean (Very bad!)

This is a more complicated issue that could be any of the following:
Faulty o2 sensors, Faulty ECM, Faulty wiring, bad fuel, poor fuel pressure/delivery due to bad fuel, and fuel pump, water intrusion into wiring, bad fuel injectors, exhaust leak or vacuum leak.

This is one of those rare occasions when you really do need to take this to a dealer. The boats in warranty and so do make the most of it. I'd like to try and guide you through here but at this point, you will need the service manual for the motor, a decent understanding of reading live diacom data and of course the Diacom system. Likely more than it's worth given that someone will fix this for you (unless one of the students filled the boat with bad gas?!).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Mike

Thanks Mike! Yea it will still definitely go in to the shop to diagnose the actual problem.

One thing the mechanic said at the shop who sold us the boat is that, the sensors might be getting really dirty because we have been wake surfing on it constantly. So just plowing the boat for long periods of time. (We run this boat for students so they all love Wake surfing). He did also ask me if there was any water intrusion, but there has been none that I know of. We also fill the boat up from the same place every time. Our University get fuel delivered to us via company to a tank on campus and that is where I fill up.

I'm pretty adept with boats and basic engine knowledge but yes, this is beyond my expertise. I'm just waiting for our local indmar service shop to get their new software in, so I can take it back in to them.

Thanks again for the responses and I will post again if something new happens or we find a fix.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:39 pm 
Team Axis

I have seen sensors coke up you should be able to clean them simply by getting out in the boat and treating it like you stole it... lots of higher RPM, hard running for 10 mins or so.

Make sure the students all understand that if they wakesurf for a while, give the boat a good hammering before putting it away. Equally, it is important to let it warm up and give it a quick blast before wakesurfing, otherwise the boat will be running rich pretty much 100% of the time and doing the cats and o2 sensors no good...

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:19 pm 

Ha Ha yeah. The first day we had this problem, we drove it HARD for 30 mins or so, to see if would clean it up some. But no luck.

I just got back from taking out all 4 O2 sensors and giving them just a light cleaning with a soft brush on the outside. There were black, but not clogged, at least to the naked eye. Gave it three plus starts to see if anything would happen but no luck either. so its TO THE SHOP!

I tried......