It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 409 temperature fluctuation
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:27 pm 
Boater

Thanks in advance,
I have a 2014 A24 with the 409. I put the boat in the water a couple weeks ago and traveling to the dock it had a warning and the gauge said the temperature was over 200. I immediately turned off the boat and waited a few minutes. Once I started it again, no issue whatsoever.

Since then I've been keeping a very close eye on the temperature and it seems to fluctuate between 160 on the low end and the mid to upper 170s on the top. I have seen it into the 180's, but that was maybe twice.

The other day we were out and after idling for about 15 minutes at the dock, we slowly moved across the lake and the temperature spiked to 200. There was no alarm or anything, and because I've noticed the temperature goes down when the boat is moving fast I gave it a little gas(I know, but there was no alarm) and the temperature immediately came down.

What's odd is the temperature seems good once everything has warmed up, and it's usually coolest(160's) when under load(tubing or surfing). I have noticed that the boat will slowly creep up in temperature when at idle and then it's almost as if the boat notices it's too warm and the temperature comes down very quickly.

Two questions;
1. I'm going to have the dealer look at it, but should I stop using the boat until then or just keep an eye on the temperature and be careful?

2. Is this normal? If not, what do you all think? Impeller, gauge, thermostat?

Post subject: 409 temperature fluctuation
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:45 pm 
Team Axis

At low rpms in a V8 will typical run a little “hotter” than normal. The water pump isn’t pushing as much water through the block. But obviously always keep in eye on your gauges. My 409 does the same thing. Although it has never given me an alarm. It may be time for a thermostat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: 409 temperature fluctuation
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:08 pm 
Boater

Thanks for the reply. I called the dealer and they said it's normal for the motor to need a good suction at the beginning of the day to get water flowing and then it will fluctuate in temperature until the thermostat kicks in. I think it's two different issues. One is when you start the boat and need to prime the pump and the other is just normal temperature stuff.