It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: A22 Best surf ballast setup goofy and reg stance
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:23 pm 
Team Axis

Okay guys, I know this has been posted but i keep getting a mix of info for proper setup. I'm currently running the 750's in the rear and 950 front pnp. Now for wake surfing I have seen and done fill all the factory ballast rear surf side only. With the pnp and taking the opposite pnp side and putting on the rear surf side seat and the front pnp full. Now my question I was told by a dealer to leave all the pnp sac's in the lockers fill all pnp and add extra sac's 400 bow and another 400 to the surf side rear seat. My question is anyone doing this? :x

Post subject: Re: A22 Best surf ballast setup goofy and reg stance
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:58 pm 
Team Axis

I don't use any extra sacs, I fill front sac up and rear surf side full 750. No water in center tank wedge up on goofy side.
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364950684.149433.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364950684.149433.jpg [ 155.61 KiB | Viewed 36117 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:15 pm 
Team Axis

I ride goofy and fill 750 surf side, center full, no front PnP, 100lb lead wake bags under drivers feet and a small bag filled under surf side bench, which doesn't get too full. Wedge up. Usually only two others in the boat.
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364955340.334712.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364955340.334712.jpg [ 68.99 KiB | Viewed 36099 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:00 am 
Team Axis

@ 1joeyh, What size bag are you running under the seat is it a 370 lbs bag. I would like to do something like that and not have bags taking up all my seat tops. That is awesome pic too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:20 am 
Team Axis

Since what the actual best setup is really comes down to personal preference, can someone explain how adding weight to different parts of the boat affects the surf wave?

Like if I want to be able to surf farther back, where do I add more weight? What do I do if I want the wave taller? Steeper? What difference does the wedge make? What is the affect of more front weight vs. more rear weight? Why do some people choose to fill the center hard tank while others do not, what difference does it make in the wave?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:21 am 
Team Axis

Thanks. My brother shaped me that board. That thing really rips.
This is the bag I use under the seat...
http://www.aerialwakeboarding.com/Produ ... =BB-AER550
It's rated at 550 lbs but it definitely doesn't get close to that under the seat. Maybe fills halfway. Still makes a big difference though. If its just me and another in the boat I'll sometimes fill it on top of the seat.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:29 am 
Team Axis

Ferral wrote:
Since what the actual best setup is really comes down to personal preference, can someone explain how adding weight to different parts of the boat affects the surf wave?

Like if I want to be able to surf farther back, where do I add more weight? What do I do if I want the wave taller? Steeper? What difference does the wedge make? What is the affect of more front weight vs. more rear weight? Why do some people choose to fill the center hard tank while others do not, what difference does it make in the wave?

The more weight in the back the taller the wave gets but shorter in length. Conversely, the more even distributed weight with more in front, the longer the wave gets but you loose height on it. I played around quite a bit with the weight placement. I use to fill my front PnP bag but found that for my liking/surfing it worked better without it filled. I like surfing faster to get the airs and noticed if I slam the surf side corner the wave got really tall with great push but was so short in length at my normal surf speed. I sped up to around 12.2-12.6 with that setup and the wave lengthened out a lot but kept a lot of the height. Definitely need a fast board when riding that speed though. I slow it down when riding my skim style board.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:24 am 
Team Axis

1joeyh wrote:
Ferral wrote:

The more weight in the back the taller the wave gets but shorter in length. Conversely, the more even distributed weight with more in front, the longer the wave gets but you loose height on it. I played around quite a bit with the weight placement. I use to fill my front PnP bag but found that for my liking/surfing it worked better without it filled. I like surfing faster to get the airs and noticed if I slam the surf side corner the wave got really tall with great push but was so short in length at my normal surf speed. I sped up to around 12.2-12.6 with that setup and the wave lengthened out a lot but kept a lot of the height. Definitely need a fast board when riding that speed though. I slow it down when riding my skim style board.

I agree with going faster with a lot of rear corner weight if not using any weight up front. My ex-gf used to surf goofy and she'd ride at 12.6-12.8 and she surfed a Shred Stix Thresher which is a fast board.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:25 pm 
Team Axis

Just depending on what type of style you are doing. Surf or skim style. Kristy a friend of mine who surfs in the world surf champs helped me dial in my axis surf wave.

for surf style- Heavy in the rear compartments/seats. center full..with little to no weight up front. Wedge up for Goofy, Wedge down for Reg stance. Helps give a huge/fatty wall with great push for those air jumps and carves.

Skim Style- Same setup but add front PNP weight or weight on the front seats. Gives the wave a long clean looking wave. great for skim style and 360's etc. wedge down for Reg and wedge up goofy stance (due to prop rotation)

this is how i set up mine everytime and never had a complaint..always great compliments from friends about how nice and sick looking my surf wave is.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:32 pm 
Team Axis

DustinA22Vandall wrote:
Just depending on what type of style you are doing. Surf or skim style. Kristy a friend of mine who surfs in the world surf champs helped me dial in my axis surf wave.

for surf style- Heavy in the rear compartments/seats. center full..with little to no weight up front. Wedge up for Goofy, Wedge down for Reg stance. Helps give a huge/fatty wall with great push for those air jumps and carves.

Skim Style- Same setup but add front PNP weight or weight on the front seats. Gives the wave a long clean looking wave. great for skim style and 360's etc. wedge down for Reg and wedge up goofy stance (due to prop rotation)

this is how i set up mine everytime and never had a complaint..always great compliments from friends about how nice and sick looking my surf wave is.

Dustin explained it perfectly. That's exactly what I've found after endless experimenting with weight placement. Comes down to what style of wakesurfing you like to do. I mostly do surf style and weight the rear but will throw a bag up front when I want to work on skim style with 3s and stuff.