It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Depth Finder Install
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:17 am 

Hi guys, I am looking to install a depth finder to my Axis A22 over winter and was wondering if anyone has done this or does it need to be done by a dealer?
I was keen to give it ago myself as everytime I take my boat to the dealer its a $1000 for service and odds and ends.
If someone has any info on installing could they please share !!!!!!

thanks daz

Post subject: Re: Depth Finder Install
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:45 am 
Team Axis

Try to contact someone at axis and see if its a big deal to add on. It may be as simple as installing the transducer, the gauges may already be set up for it and you may just have to plug it in and go.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:33 pm 
Team Axis

Was the depth finder an option? Couldn't imagine a dealer ordering a boat without it...craziness.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:06 pm 
Team Axis

I'm not sure about this year, but 09 - 12 the depth finder has always been an option (it should be standard :)).

Daz, I'd also expect it to just be a matter of adding the transducer. Is your hull already pre-drilled with a plug where the transducer would normally be?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:12 pm 

I am also looking at having a Lowrance Elite-4 DSI GPS/Chartplotter installed on my A22. We go to several different large lakes and we used the GPS section all the time on our last boat (although it wasn't a wakeboard boat). Any advice there??

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:19 am 

I bought the boat as a demo so it only had a few options on it and depth finder was not one of them.
Im not sure where the transducer is located under the hull so im not sure if it is pre drilled or not.
My dealer said it was $450 for the depth finder which isnt to bad in Australia so I will look into it a little further to do it myself otherwise my dealer can do it.
Its a bit of a pain in the arse since Canberra does not have a dealer so its a 3 hour drive to Sydney, and by the time I get a 100 hr service, depth finder and petrol its like $1300- $1500.

If anyone has a link or a picture where the transducer is located could they please post.

thanks daz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:47 am 
Team Axis

it's on the opposite side of the v-drive from the speedo paddle wheel, pull the cover under the rear seat and its just forward of the ballast pump
I'll put up a pic later, tapatalk isn't letting me do it from my phone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:29 am 
Team Axis

Here's an image of the transducer (this in from an 09). There is a part number on the transducer, but per the below Airmar FAQ is in not actually the right partnumber.

Quote:
Is the number next to the Airmar logo on the cap of my transducer (20-xxx-x) the correct part number?
No. This is the part number of the trandsucer cap. This is a common question.

To get the Airmar part number from your transducer, you must locate the cable "flag tag". This is either white or green and should be attached to the cable at the connector end (where the transducer plug connects into the display). On some older models, the flag tag may be at the transducer end of the cable.

Airmar part numbers usually start with either 31-xxx-xx-xx, 41-xxx-xx-xx, 44-xxx-xx-xx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:02 am 

Thanks guys I checked out my hull and there is nothing there. I think it may be best for my dealer to install since they have to drill into the hull.

Is nearly winter here with low of 3 degrees and daytime 21 degrees so its just about time to pack the boat up for winter.

thanks again guys

Daz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:36 am 
Team Axis

You don't have to drill into your hull to install the depth finder. The last depth finder I installed I just glued it to the hull and it reads through the hull.