It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 2016 T23 major surf gate problems
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:18 pm 

Hello forum users. As a new Axis boat owner (2016 T23 - just purchased it used) I'm excited to enoy wake surfing!

My problem, after receiving the boat and taking it through a full (and passing) inspection on the water, now that I have it Surf Gate is acting up - ok not working. Here's what is happening.

In the first outing things seemed to be working fine. As new surfers though, we went through several 'false starts' as surfers learned how to get up - causing me as the captain, to accelerate and then soon after back down to turn around and collect my fallen surfer. I've seen some posts here that indicate this rapid transition may have confused surf gate - but really not sure. This first time out I did have an issue, but I reset the boat (full battery shut off) and then was back working again.

Now, it's not working at all. I took the boat out yesterday just to experiment and try different remedies:
1) Shortly after startup I had an alert telling me the "Surf Gate Fault Retracting Right" on the tachometer display. I cleared this by hitting the right menu button. I should note here that NEITHER gate was extended in ANY way.

2) I then selected the menu item "Service Surf Gate" upon which both gates extended. I hit "Finish" (right button) which the menu said should retract the gates, but that didn't happen.

3) I then selected the menu item "Calibrate Surf Gate" up both gates fully retracted (as expected) and then hit the "finish" (right) button. OK, all seemed good.

4) Upon exiting the Setup Menu, the system seemed to 'restart' after which the original warning went off again ("Surf Gate Fault Retracting Right"). Again, neither gate was extended.

5) I tried testing the surf mode- with speed control set at 11MPH, and neither gate extended.

6) Lastly, reset the system by turning both batteries off, waiting 2 minutes, and then turning it back on. This time, I received a "Surf Gate Switch Right See Dealer" error (first time I've seen that). Again I cleared by pushing the right menu button. And again, both gates fully retracted at this point.

7) to be safe at this point I disabled Surf Gate in the menu system (I've read some reports of boaters getting stuck on the water with one / both gates extended without the ability to retract - don't want that to happen.

It seems to me like the memory of the system things the right gate is in one position when it's not - and that it's confused. But I would expect the "calibrate" menu option should clear that up. I'm also looking into the Recall that I've read about here for the 2016 Malibu and Axis boats manufacture between July 1 2015 and June 30 2016 (I'm trying to determine when the boat I own was manufactured).

Anyone have ANY thoughts on how to address this? Is there a way for me to somehow FULLY reset the system (back to factory default)? I noticed on post by Fx4x4 who indicated the driving behavior can confused the system and also indicated a fair amount of experience with this problem. Would love to hear from you fx4x4 if you're reading this ;)

Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited by Scrappy on Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 2015 T23 major surf gate problems
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:57 am 
Team Axis

Sounds like the reed switch or the wiring is bad in that actuator.

Dealer needs to diag and if needed replace.

You did transfer the warranty?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:34 pm 

What's the "reed switch"?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:23 am 
Team Axis

Scrappy wrote:
What's the "reed switch"?

It is a magnetic switch inside the actuator that tells the system if it is open or closed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:48 am 

thanks so much A22owner.

And is the actuator (and reed switch) located under the fin piston (outside the boat) - or is it somewhere inside as part of the electrical system (in the engine compartment)?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:38 am 
Team Axis

Scrappy wrote:
thanks so much A22owner.

And is the actuator (and reed switch) located under the fin piston (outside the boat) - or is it somewhere inside as part of the electrical system (in the engine compartment)?

It is inside the cylinder itself. Not serviceable.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:53 am 
Team Axis

Wouldn't be a bad idea to get the title changed to 2016 instead of 2015.

Might confuse people in the future if they come in searching for help.

Post subject: Re: 2016 T23 major surf gate problems
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:49 am 

good idea. My bad. Done!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:00 pm 
Team Axis

It's nothing you did. This just happens on these.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:35 am 

Mine had this problem, 2016 T23. Bad relay module, it had to be replaced and they added breakers instead of fuses to the surf gate circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk