It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How common is SurfGate actuator failure?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:36 pm 

Hello all!

2016 axis T23
We just experienced our second right side actuator failure in a year while on vacation. Would you guys chime in and let me know if y’all are having problems? Doesn’t anyone have an upgrade? I can’t find anything online except a hundred threads saying “calibrate it”. I would just like to know if it is a common enough failure to keep an extra in the truck. Warranty is still I covering right now but really don’t want to be stuck buying $300 actuator every summer while still paying a note on the boat.
Thanks for feedback!
Jack

Post subject: Re: How common is SurfGate actuator failure?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:21 pm 
Team Axis

Fabrijack wrote:
Hello all!

2016 axis T23
We just experienced our second right side actuator failure in a year while on vacation. Would you guys chime in and let me know if y’all are having problems? Doesn’t anyone have an upgrade? I can’t find anything online except a hundred threads saying “calibrate it”. I would just like to know if it is a common enough failure to keep an extra in the truck. Warranty is still I covering right now but really don’t want to be stuck buying $300 actuator every summer while still paying a note on the boat.
Thanks for feedback!
Jack
If it's the 2nd one in a year and on the same side I would be wondering if its actually actuator failure or is something causing the failure on that side....wiring, voltage, binding, out of alignment etc..... sounds like something is causing an early failure to that side. I had a 16 A20 and a 18 T22 with zero actuator problems.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2016 AXIS A20....SOLD
2018 AXIS T22....CURRENT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:06 pm 

My 16 T23 had this issue last summer, multiple times. Ended up being an electrical issue and the dealer needed to do electrical work including adding circuit breakers to the actuator circuits. I can’t remember the specifics but could get the records if you want. No issues since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:43 pm 

Service manager said it is the relay pack gone bad this time not the actuator. They said they have only had three boats in with actuator issues in the last year including mine.
Makes me feel a little better, didn’t change the fact my vacation was interrupted for the second year in a row.
Thanks for the replies!
Jack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:12 am 
Team Axis

'16 A20, haven't had an actuator go bad (knock on wood) but I have had the relay pack or whatever it's called go bad and replaced under warranty. Have friends with a '16 A24 and they've had several actuators go bad, most recently last month. Apparently there are Gen1 and Gen2 and the Gen2 are much more reliable. I'm glad I'm still under warranty and don't want to know what it might cost to replace them out of warranty.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:00 pm 

I just replaced my original port side actuator on a ‘15 T23 with the newer version. The speed difference is worth the replacement alone.

I opened the top and there is clearly a seal issue these actuators are having causing them to go bad. Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:15 pm 
Team Axis

Yup, this has been an ongoing issue for my 2015. But now I have the "newer" actuator on both sides so hopefully it will be a much less frequent issue. I bet I've done 4-5 replacements total between the two sides in 5 seasons.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:35 pm 
Team Axis

I might be upgrading to a SG boat...what model year did the boats come from factory with "newer" actuators?