It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Older Boat - New Tech - Ballast Help Needed
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:28 pm 

I bought a 2011 A20 last fall with only 67 hours! It has plug-n-play with only the 3 stock hard tanks. I see a bunch of threads from years ago when listing your boat was still popular...I found a mission delta 2.0 at my local shop this spring on sale and it works awesome. The wake is actually 'surfable' for lighter people than me, but it's small, sloppy, and the pocket is only about a board length. I am looking for current advice considering having a wake-shaper. I was thinking about removing the rear hard tanks and swapping for some 750's and getting the wakemakers arrow shaped under seat bow bag (900-ish lbs.). I don't need the biggest wave ever and wouldn't mind more storage space, so I was thinking getting rid of the hard tanks would also increase the fill/drain efficiency. One of my rear pumps was being a little tempermental the last trip, so since that might be a consideration soon maybe swap a good pump in the front for a faster flowing new pump and put the functional stock one in the back? Any help would be appreciated before I drop hundreds of dollars and time into this project!

Post subject: Older Boat - New Tech - Ballast Help Needed
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:27 pm 

I haven’t done much with mine yet as I just got it. But did a lot of talking with the previous owner, as well as setting it up with him. I have a 2012 axis A20 with the hard tanks as well as bags in each locker on top of the hard tank and a bag in the bow. The rear bags are on the same switch as the hard tanks and the bow bag is on a separate switch. Also use a wake shaper that slides onto the swim platform so looks a lot like the surf gate on the new models. Still need to do some playing to find the sweet spot but puts out a pretty good wave in my opinion from not ever being in a newer Wakesurf boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Older Boat - New Tech - Ballast Help Needed
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:17 pm 

[quote="Nightlong515"]I haven’t done much with mine yet as I just got it. But did a lot of talking with the previous owner, as well as setting it up with him. I have a 2012 axis A20 with the hard tanks as well as bags in each locker on top of the hard tank and a bag in the bow. The rear bags are on the same switch as the hard tanks and the bow bag is on a separate switch. Also use a wake shaper that slides onto the swim platform so looks a lot like the surf gate on the new models. Still need to do some playing to find the sweet spot but puts out a pretty good wave in my opinion from not ever being in a newer Wakesurf boat.

Thanks for the input! Do the bags fill/drain completely without purging air and lifting the bags to drain? Do you know approx. how many lb's you have in extra bags, and do you fill them completely to surf? I'm trying to decide how much I actually need. Also, any pics of the wake would be awesome.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:24 pm 
Team Axis

I've got a 2012 A20 and think I have the ballast set up pretty well. First off, instead of removing the rear tanks you can replace the drain pump with dual port pumps. The pump replaces the former drain (at the rear of the tank) and becomes the point at which the tank and bag are connected. Currently your bag drains to your tank. This causes problems. Using the dual port shurflo piranha (800 gph for your tubing) allows both the tank and the bag to be drained via the pump. No more delays in pumping down the ballast. Do that to both sides. I would also connect the top of the bag, via the vent port, to the vent for the tank. This allows the system to drain via the vent when full instead of needing to be burped.

2nd, yes you need the arrow bag beneath the bow. If you want any length to your wave and any kick to your wake you need bow weight. You may benefit from installing a thru-hull fitting to install a dedicated vent for this bag as they dont vent well from the factory. The vent for the front arrow bag and the center tank are wyed together.

Finally, the thing I've done that I really like is the addition of a dedicated reversible pump for an on-bow triangle bag. I have a thru hull back by the engine, tubing running to the pump behind the kick panel, tubing running from the pump to one of the cup holders in the bow, a quick connect, and additional tubing to connect from the quick connect to the 1k triangle bag. 750s in the rear on top of stock, if you plan to fill them full, needs additional bow weight.

Suckgates work well on these boats. If you want to install an automated system Go Surf Assist would be a huge upgrade. But obviously pricey. I'd just work on the ballast and then purchase or make a suck gate. I'd also strongly recommend that you not waste time surfing and spend your time wakeboarding. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:38 am 

Thank you for the advice! That's an awesome idea with the dual port pump - a great work around. I decided to leave the hard tanks where they are and just pulled the trigger on the 750's that I will sack in the back and the under seats bow bag. I didn't know that the center and front drains were wyed, but I guess I would have found that out on install. I negotiated a ronix blade wakeshaper with the purchase of my boat last fall and it would not stay on the bsuctioned for more than 10 seconds, so I returned it and got a mission Delta 2.0 which works flawlessly! Lastly, I wholly agree about wakeboarding. I'll save surfing till my body breaks, lol! The wife doesn't like boarding anymore after surfing...

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:39 pm 
Team Axis

The center and front drains are not wyed. The vents for the tank and bag are. The drains are separate.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:16 am 

Ok. That makes more sense, thanks.