It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 2014 A22 shaft seal leak and vdrive question
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:06 pm 
Boater

I bought a glide shaft seal with the internet of replacing my badly leaking shaft seal. I got the coupling separated but I could not get the nut off the prop shaft flange. I immobilized the shaft by wrapping a strap brace around the flange and bracing it against the hull. But I just cannot get enough torque on thE nut to break it loose. There is so little clearance between the vdrive flange and the prop flange! Note I did back off the set screw.

So I am considering removing the vdrive so I can get the clearance to use an impact wrench on the prop flange nut. The vdrive looks easy to unbolt. But I am not sure I have enough clearance to pull it forward. I am also not sure if transmission fluid will gush out if I remove it. Or what is required to reinstall it. Has anyone removed a vdrive from a ZF 45? Any tips/hints/warnings?

Thanks!
Salem

Post subject: Re: 2014 A22 shaft seal leak and vdrive question
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:07 pm 
Boater

I started removing the vdrive this evening. And wow those hoses are a pia! I got them both to rotate/twist which usually means they will come off. Nope! And I have great leverage on the vertical hose! And i pulled hard enough to see the vdrive visibly lift!
I am thinking about cutting off the vertical hose and replacing it. But on the port side I cannot eve reach the other side of the hose to replace it. I am thinking of cutting it and then splicing it back together with a connector when I reinstall. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:22 pm 
Boater

Tonight I struggled for another hour and then called up my strongest friend.

He was strong enough to wiggle the vertical hose off after about 30 mins of swearing and 110% effort.

For the hose that exits the transmission horizontally you cannot get the same kind of leverage. We came up with a way to pry the edge of the hose using a 1.5 ft bar meant for changing the tires on a Ford F-250 :). To get the leverage we stuck an Allen wrench through an unused hole on the side of the vdrive.

For those interested there are two rings on each of the connectors. One on the end and one about in the middle. The metal in the hose gets formed around these two barbs and makes hell to remove them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:48 am 
Team Axis

I am glad you're sharing this. I hope I never have to do this... Keep us posted!

Sorry I have no relevant experience to share with you on this.

Wayne