It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Strange audio problems
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:37 am 
Team Axis

2 strange problems occurred on me this weekend. One of the problems is intermittent and comes every so often.

First, my sub randomly stops working. We'll be riding around then I'll realize the bass isn't working. This problem occurs every now and then, and I cant pin point the problem. The subwoofer will go out for a period of time, sometimes 5mins, sometimes 30 mins. It will eventually come back on its own. When it happened last week I looked at the amp and the power light was blinking really fast. This time it happened, the power light looked normal. This problem never occurs when im at home on the trailer so its hard to troubleshoot.

Second problem, this is a first. After the sub woofer issue occurred another problem happened later. Out of the blue the entire head unit turns off, then turns back on. It was happen over and over again until I turned the volume down on the wetsounds EQ. I would slowly raise the volume on the EQ and then at a certain volume the head unit would power off, then back on, over and over until i turned the volume down. The battery switch was on 1+2, but after I switched the battery to bat 1 or bat 2, the problem stopped. It would only happen if the switch was on 1+2. The next morning I tested it out on 1+2, and it worked fine. Needless to say im lost!

Setup:
Factory Head Unit
Wet sounds WS420EQ
(2) Rev10s powered by WS Syn4
(6) WS650XS powered by P900.4
Sundown Audio 12in SA-12 sub powered JL 500.1 Slash series (might be worth mentioning this amp is like 10 years old)

Post subject: Re: Strange audio problems
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:59 am 
Team Axis

Out of curiosity why are you using bat 1+2 as your normal go to? From what I understand of the electrical system in these boats the only time that you should really be using that selection is if you're trying to recharge both batteries while underway after running one down too far. Typically you're going to want to run everything off battery one and only switch the battery to 2 if somehow you run the battery down to low to start the boat. It sounds like you're running into some sort of low voltage problem and that's why your stereo and your sub amp are reacting by shutting down. The biggest problem with running 1+2 is if you run them both too low you are stuck without a backup plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 Bandit Trans-Am

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:12 am 
Team Axis

I could be wrong, but I always thought that running 1+2 was good so both batteries stay charged from the alternator. I would only switch to a single battery when the boat was off and the audio was on. That would leave a spare battery incase I killed one while tied up/beached.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:15 am 
Team Axis

I've ran (and still do) my boats on 1+2 all the time, except when the engine is off and I'm running the audio (then if it's and odd day I run #1, and even day I run #2). Once I'm ready to leave the cove, etc. I switch back to both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:20 am 
Team Axis

^same

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:52 am 
Team Axis

Got it admittedly I know stereos better than boats hahaha. That said it sure sounds like you are experiencing a low voltage (or possibly over voltage) situation with how your source unit and sub amp are acting. If you have a multi-meter may be a good thing to bring along with you next time out and see what voltage the amp is getting when it is shutting down. Measure output on all 3 battery selections and see if you are getting variations there.

1978 Bandit Trans-Am