It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ballast has me stumped???? Boat can't get out of its own
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:12 pm 
Team Axis

Thanks for the response guys. I will certainly be discussing with the dealer and assume they will do all that they can for me as they have been great to work with thus far. I also understand that I am not a pro wakeboarder and probably don't even need the wake I am searching for with full ballast to have a great time. But at the same time it sure would be nice to have access too if I ever do. Not to mention I have friends that are much better and could use it to its fullest (pun intended)

I guess I just kinda feel like the guy that bought the Ferrari with the expectation of a 200mph car and and now being told I can't use 6th gear. Some may say heck how often will the car be in 6th just enjoy 1-5. And they may be right but that doesn't make the issue better or easier to stomach as things fell short of expectation.

I frequently ride with a buddy that has a 4yr old tige and I just hate that my brand spanking new $70k investment can't do what his can. That stings a bit if I truly am SOL in this issue.

Not at all trying to bash anyone - I truly do love this boat and really really hope I can find some sort of resolution. That was the intent of my OP was to see if possibly I was missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 Bandit Trans-Am

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:28 pm 
Team Axis

2016A22inCO wrote:
Thanks for the response guys. I will certainly be discussing with the dealer and assume they will do all that they can for me as they have been great to work with thus far. I also understand that I am not a pro wakeboarder and probably don't even need the wake I am searching for with full ballast to have a great time. But at the same time it sure would be nice to have access too if I ever do. Not to mention I have friends that are much better and could use it to its fullest (pun intended)

I guess I just kinda feel like the guy that bought the Ferrari with the expectation of a 200mph car and and now being told I can't use 6th gear. Some may say heck how often will the car be in 6th just enjoy 1-5. And they may be right but that doesn't make the issue better or easier to stomach as things fell short of expectation.

I frequently ride with a buddy that has a 4yr old tige and I just hate that my brand spanking new $70k investment can't do what his can. That stings a bit if I truly am SOL in this issue.

Not at all trying to bash anyone - I truly do love this boat and really really hope I can find some sort of resolution. That was the intent of my OP was to see if possibly I was missing something.

I feel for ya and hear what you're saying.

Do you have any plans to travel to lower elevations on vacations with the boat? (Would be a great test for you)

If the boat is within reason to get some measurements...go measure how much room you have between the top of the prop and the bottom of the hull. If you have 1.25" (preferably 1.5") or more...you could try a 16" diameter prop. (Not sure what pitch to recommend...I'll leave that for the prop makers to tell you). You want at the very minimum .75" clearance between the top of the prop and the hull...for prop wash and to keep from burning the gel coat there. So .75" + .50" radius (1" diameter) = 1.25" bare minimum for a 16" prop.

There are also some 15x11 props on Acme's website. This may be an option to try as well. You'll sacrifice top end speed, but have some more low end to possibly help you plane and pick up some MPH's for surfing.

(Edit to add)
Extremely stupid question...but I gotta ask: Are you 100% sure you didn't have the cruise set at 10.7 when you were surfing fully loaded? How did you try to your test? We'll step back to the most basic questions. :D

Post subject: Did I miss the part about RPM?
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:31 am 
Team Axis

What kind of RPMs are you running? Larger props require more torque and reduce the ability to build RPM. Horsepower needs RPM. Just off hand I woudl say you have too much prop in size and pitch, but it will come down to managing your shaft loading.

The power is down from altitude, but it is only down 65 horses, but your torque at low RPM is where you are likely suffering the most.

Find a good prop shop and they should be able to help.

BTW, for those who want to calculate BHP loss with altitude, Wallace Racing has amazing calculators on-line. The BHP vs Alt is here: http://www.wallaceracing.com/braking-hp.php

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:53 am 
Team Axis

Just for reference I looked up the elevation of one of the places we camp and it's just over 1500 ft. With the 2249 we can surf fully loaded with everything full and 10 passengers and wedge down but not wake board with the ballast full.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:13 pm 
Team Axis

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so three videos must be worth a million hahaha. Please check these out and Lmk your thoughts.

1) surf speed all ballast full and wedge
https://vimeo.com/167663399

1978 Bandit Trans-Am

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:14 pm 
Team Axis

2) wakeboard speed test - full ballast can't get above 11mph
https://vimeo.com/167663534

1978 Bandit Trans-Am

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:16 pm 
Team Axis

3) wakeboard speed test - 1/2 rear ballast removed can planehttps://vimeo.com/167663625

1978 Bandit Trans-Am

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:27 pm 
Team Axis

What prop came stock with the boat?
With the 409 and the 1.48:1 gear ratio I've heard of guys getting great results with the 1235, 2247/2249 props.
It doesn't even look like your rpms are getting up where they need to be and then settle back down when you're at wakeboard speed.

2016 AXIS A20....SOLD
2018 AXIS T22....CURRENT

Post subject: Ballast has me stumped???? Boat can't get out of its own way
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:44 pm 
Team Axis

The 2419 came with the boat. My spec sheet says it should have had the 2315 on it and honestly thinking that is what I had that's why I ordered the OJ 985 thinking I needed a more aggressive prop to push the weight. It wasn't until I went to put the OJ on that I realized I basically paid $550 for what I already had (shame on me for not looking before I lept) as I think the two props are very similar. I was wondering about the RPM thing today as I was doing the test. Sure seems that it is not able to spin up enough RPM to get in the powerband of the motor and just lugs along?

I just don't know enough about props and what changes do what. I thought going to these "super torque props" would push my RPM's up not keep them down? For reference my top speed (empty ballast) on the boat is:
OJ= 35mph
ACME=38mph

1978 Bandit Trans-Am

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:38 pm 
Team Axis

2016A22inCO wrote:
The 2419 came with the boat. My spec sheet says it should have had the 2315 on it and honestly thinking that is what I had that's why I ordered the OJ 985 thinking I needed a more aggressive prop to push the weight. It wasn't until I went to put the OJ on that I realized I basically paid $550 for what I already had (shame on me for not looking before I lept) as I think the two props are very similar. I was wondering about the RPM thing today as I was doing the test. Sure seems that it is not able to spin up enough RPM to get in the powerband of the motor and just lugs along?

I just don't know enough about props and what changes do what. I thought going to these "super torque props" would push my RPM's up not keep them down? For reference my top speed (empty ballast) on the boat is:
OJ= 35mph
ACME=38mph

I'm thinking the same thing as far as your not hitting the higher RPM power band. I have a 2016 A20 with the 350 and run around 2800lbs ballast and run the 2773 prop 15x13 .105 cup and get up on plane pretty quick. My lake is 1,542 above sea level. With the wedge down it will not plane even trying a 2313 15x12 .105 prop. With the higher pitch prop it will let your rpms spin higher. Might be worth a try.

My ballast setup:
Stock 800
Wakemakers custom 500s rear
T-Series P&P triangle bow bag. 300-400
Sumo 650 triangle bow bag on top of bow cushions.

2016 AXIS A20....SOLD
2018 AXIS T22....CURRENT

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next