It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Ballast has me stumped???? Boat can't get out of its own
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:19 pm 
Team Axis

steveA20 wrote:
I just learned yesterday that Acme now has some 10 and 11 pitch props.

I saw the same thing. It will prob be the next step if I can't make this 985 work but man I'd hate to loose any more speed than I already have. Right now boat tops out at 34-35mph

1978 Bandit Trans-Am

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:30 pm 
Boater

Just wondering what the result was with the prop when you got it back? Or did you end up going with a different prop? i have the exact same boat as you and have the exact same problem.
Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:01 pm 
Team Axis

A22man wrote:
Just wondering what the result was with the prop when you got it back? Or did you end up going with a different prop? i have the exact same boat as you and have the exact same problem.
Cheers!

Well the prop went back twice to OJ and and did get my RPMs up a little bit but still could not get me to where I needed to be being able to push the weight at my altitude. I have to give a huge shout out to Eric at OJ for working with me in the way that he did. I would not hesitate for one second if you're considering a prop for your boat to call those guys - they really are top notch!

As for my boat Ironically I'm going out tomorrow with my dealer on a 2017 with the 450 so that we can see if that extra horsepower and the different transmission ratio gets me where I want to be when weighted. Bottom line is we decided together that we have pretty much done all that we're gonna be able to do with the 410 and the current transmission. They have been great to deal with as well to date and I'm very intrigued to see if the extra horsepower gets me what I'm after. Kudos to them for wanting to actually find me a solution I suppose and we will see what tomorrow brings.

1978 Bandit Trans-Am

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:15 pm 
Team Axis

If I'm a betting man (and I've been know to make some dumb ass bets before, but) if say that it may seem that the 450 is gonna work for you, but I'd venture to say it's more the transmission ratio vice the extra 40 hp that actually helps more.

There are tuners out there and you could easily get those 40 hp (and maybe more) with a cam swap and tune.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Ballast has me stumped???? Boat can't get out of its own way
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:34 pm 
Team Axis

get_sum wrote:
If I'm a betting man (and I've been know to make some dumb ass bets before, but) if say that it may seem that the 450 is gonna work for you, but I'd venture to say it's more the transmission ratio vice the extra 40 hp that actually helps more.

There are tuners out there and you could easily get those 40 hp (and maybe more) with a cam swap and tune.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I don't doubt that at all but the one thing it would do is blow up my warranty. And I also agree that the transmission ratio would probably make a huge impact right along with the extra HP. That is actually the way I started to run down the road in the first place - was trying to get them and/or axis to agree to put the other transmission ratio in my boat. I will wait to see how this story completely unfolds and will not reveal all of the specifics around it but the bottom line is my dealer has made an offer to help the situation that I may not be able to refuse. Huge benefit there is that it would still leave things like my warranty intact, get me where I need to be, and get me a new boat all at the same time. Time will tell and we will see I guess.

1978 Bandit Trans-Am

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:30 pm 
Team Axis

The 450 setup is bad ass.. I assure you it will let you throw as much weight at it as you want and still pull hard (assuming it's got a decent prop on it)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:16 am 

How did the demo with the 450 go? Good improvement?

I live in Salt Lake and have been looking at A22s. This thread is incredibly educational. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:50 am 
Team Axis

r33pwrd wrote:
The 450 setup is bad ass.. I assure you it will let you throw as much weight at it as you want and still pull hard (assuming it's got a decent prop on it)

I was fortunate to get to demo a 25LSV this past weeken for about 5-6hrs. It had the 450 in it and I was impressed with how stout it was with custom 1200's in the rear locker that went part way under the side seats, all stock ballast, wedge, and 13 adults (a few 240-250 pound dudes). Had no issue with holeshot to surf. Never heard any cavitation or vibration.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:14 am 
Team Axis

AJWest wrote:
r33pwrd wrote:

I was fortunate to get to demo a 25LSV this past weeken for about 5-6hrs. It had the 450 in it and I was impressed with how stout it was with custom 1200's in the rear locker that went part way under the side seats, all stock ballast, wedge, and 13 adults (a few 240-250 pound dudes). Had no issue with holeshot to surf. Never heard any cavitation or vibration.

Apples and oranges -- Ford/Indmar 6.2 (Malibu) vs GM/PCM 6.0 (Axis)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6