It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Stereo Pac 2 observations.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:30 am 
Team Axis

Spent a good bit of the first afternoon with the new A22 playing with the stereo as it was very mis-tuned (if that's even a word) from the factory.

Observations:
1) getting my big o'l 6'5" self inside that locker compartment was a real PTIA hahaha
2) the Wetsounds gear is pretty nice stuff. Good and clean sound. Even at higher volume levels. Weak link being the sub that starts to distort a little early on the dial. Issue here is either improper airspace in that enclosure under the dash or not enough power from the bridged 5+6 channels on the amp. Will address those later on
3) the Kicker media center is pretty easy to access everything needed. I love the separate zone volume control to switch 1) all volume 2)just interior volume 3)just tower volume.
4) the gain controls on the amplifier were WAY out of tune. I started down the stereo route in the first place because I thought the sub was not hooked up. Even maxing out the sub gain and bass in the menu of the Media Center yielded very minimum output. Turns out this was because the sub gain was set to 1 of 10 on the amplifier. The front and rear channels of the 6ch amp and the gains on the tower amp all had to be adjusted to "dial in" the best sound.

Bottom line if your stereo sounds like it's just not doing what you expected before you assume you need more/other/better components in the boat play with these things to try and improve it. If a lot of the verbiage in this post sounds like I'm speaking "Greek" get it to a good and reputable car stereo shop to tune it for you.

Overall short of getting some more low end eventually I think I will be more than pleased with this WS set up for years to come.

1978 Bandit Trans-Am

Post subject: Re: Stereo Pac 2 observations.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:44 pm 
Team Axis

After 7 hours of break in I am realizing I need to do the same. A little underwhelmed with my Stereo 2 at this point. Just seems like my highs are too harsh and the sub and mids are just not balanced. Hoping to play with the gains on the amps this weekend to tune it all in.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:32 am 
Team Axis

MNSurfDad wrote:
After 7 hours of break in I am realizing I need to do the same. A little underwhelmed with my Stereo 2 at this point. Just seems like my highs are too harsh and the sub and mids are just not balanced. Hoping to play with the gains on the amps this weekend to tune it all in.

I have the same system as well, would you guys mind posting up your amp gain settings once you adjust them? ( I know the system should sound 10x better than it does right now but it will be some time before I can get it somewhere to be tuned. and I am no very hands on when it comes to stereos! any help would e greatly appreciated.

thanks,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:53 am 
Team Axis

Im adding a ht-4 to the system to drive the factory sub plus adding a second. Ht-4's are on sale at crutchfield for around $200

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:19 am 
Team Axis

Self tuning should be a fairly easy process. First, find a song you know well. It needs to have a good range of sound... highs, mid and bass. Set all your EQ settings on the radio flat. Find out what is the range of your volume knob on the stereo. For instance 1-10, 1-100 or whatever. Find the max and set it a 75%. If it goes from 1-100 set it at 75. Then unplug all your RCA's except for one. Lets says it ends up being the in cabin speakers. Get your song playing and turn the volume on the radio to your 75% setting. The slowly adjust the gain until you hear the speakers distort. Then adjust the gain down. Unplug that RCA and to the next. Repeat this until all have been set. Then fine tune your treble and base.

Some guys your 75% and I have seen some use 80%. Either is a good set point. Anything higher than that can add distortion from the radio that will feed into the amp.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:59 am 
Team Axis

garner wrote:
Self tuning should be a fairly easy process. First, find a song you know well. It needs to have a good range of sound... highs, mid and bass. Set all your EQ settings on the radio flat. Find out what is the range of your volume knob on the stereo. For instance 1-10, 1-100 or whatever. Find the max and set it a 75%. If it goes from 1-100 set it at 75. Then unplug all your RCA's except for one. Lets says it ends up being the in cabin speakers. Get your song playing and turn the volume on the radio to your 75% setting. The slowly adjust the gain until you hear the speakers distort. Then adjust the gain down. Unplug that RCA and to the next. Repeat this until all have been set. Then fine tune your treble and base.

Some guys your 75% and I have seen some use 80%. Either is a good set point. Anything higher than that can add distortion from the radio that will feed into the amp.

fantastic! thanks for the info as I will give this a try this weekend and post my results!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:05 am 
Team Axis

Sure thing. I am sure there are more precise ways to dial it in, but this will get you in the ball park.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:14 pm 
Team Axis

I had a stereo install buddy of mine adjust all of my gains etc. Last year which helped a bunch but I recently installed a ws 420eq and it helped it out even more but I still plan to upgrade it all eventually

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:19 pm 

So I am a novice when it comes to stereos... but I leave tomorrow for the lake for a week... no time for a radio people to look at.
1. how do you change the volume options... all, tower, or just interior.... I have noticed if I am in Zone 2 or not the towers go on or off. So how do I get to the volume control for them all.
2. how do you turn up the RCA or I assume amplifier's. There are two of course.

thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:25 pm 

Figured out the volume issue... looked at the amps and there are not adjustments on them....... Are these adjustable?

Marc