It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: pull hard tanks and go bigger?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:46 am 
Team Axis

Okay, success!!!! I completed the starboard side rear locker and it is amazing. I will post pictures of what the sumo 900 looks like completely full. I was surpized how I could completely fill it (so its at about 1000 lbs now) and the bag does not put pressure on anything, and there is still a ton of room in that locker. The bag fills in about 7 min, drains in about 5. I will do a timed test on my first water test here soon (I used a fake a lake to make sure everything was working).

I used the piranha 1100 with 1" discharge because it has the 3/4" intake that is a direct replacement for the 800 piranha. I wanted to use the tsunami 1200 for the fill, but it has a 1" intake and I did not want to have to use an adapter. I spliced the wires to the black connector, so I can still disconnect the pump if I need to, just like the factory had it set up. I used 1" hose, it goes on the 1" discharge very tightly, had to use a heat gun to soften the hose to get it on. (You can use the 1 1/8 hose and it will slide right on to all the fittings better) I used a jar of thread sealant for all the connections, threaded to the pump, or just slip on hose connections (suggested to me by a malibu mechanic)

Installing fill pump was simple, disconnect the wires, spin it off. BUT the 3/4" discharge port that stick out 1" hits the v-drive housing, so I had to cut the discharge off to be able to spin the pump to unthread it. I guess malibu installs the pumps before they drop in the motor. Bad design for sure. So when I put the new pump in, I had to cut the discharge port to make it 1/2" shorter so that it would not hit the drive housing when I threaded it on. Frustrating, but I got it on. I ran the 1" hose towards the front of the boat for a foot, loop it up (into the space the v drive cover covers, and then into the rear locker in the small 4" x 4" space between the back seats and locker divider. I put the fill line to the front top port of the bag. i put a 1 way valve in line so I do not have to run a long fill line with the U - loop thing.

The drain pump (tsunami 1200) i moved to the front of the bag, I put a 90 deg elbow connection to the drain port, 6" of hose from elbow to the pump, and place the pump at the lowest point against the stringer. It sits in the little compartment under the corner cushion, tucked away, and now I have a lot more storage space, deeper. I routed the 1" hose up into the locker and behind the carpeted panel cover. I did not want to cut a bigger thru-hole in my boat, so I reduced the 1" hose to 3/4" with an adapter on wake makers, to 1 foot of the original 3/4" hose connected to the thru hole. Now when the water is pumped out, i comes out so fast and far.

The vent line is the same exact set up, I had to do nothing except make sure i ordered the 3/4" quick connect fitting that threads into the 1" sumo port.

Only change I would make is I would buy the tsunami 1200 LONG, two differences from the tsunami 1200 short.... on the long one, it has about 6" threaded intake as opposed to 1", and the diameter of the long is 1 1/8" and the diameter of the short is 1". The thread on connectors that fit the tsunami and the 1" hose or 1 1/8" is 1 1/8", so my adapters I bought from wake makers did not fit on the tsunami pump intake threads. I had to go to home depot and make an adapter. It works fine, but to save time and energy, I would go with the "long" 1200 pumps. I looked online at wake makers and did not find those adapters to fit 1" threads.

Again with the tsunami pumps, I cut and spliced the connector from the original piranha pump to my tsunami so that I can disconnect it if I ever need to.

Post subject: pull hard tanks and go bigger?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:31 am 
Team Axis

Did the tank come out without tearing out a lot of stuff? Pictures!!!!

I remember another user tried to remove his tanks and he said he was gonna have to cut them to get them out.... He didn't continue removing them at that point, how does the floor look under there? Finished or raw?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:43 am 
Team Axis

We need pictures man!! You're such a tease right now lol.

Based on how stoked you are, I'm now very interested in doing this myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:30 am 
Team Axis

Pics or it didn't happen!!! LOL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:21 pm 
Team Axis

Patiently waiting on pics.....................

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:53 pm 
Team Axis

Sorry no pics yet. I am stuck at work for the next few days, I have pics on my phone and will post them... going to have to resize them first, then I will post more.

Yes, they have to be cut. They almost come out without being cut, but you need a few more inches of space.... not going to happen. The tanks are thin and flexible, cut easily.

Walter, the floor is the fiberglass that is layer down. It is smooth though, not too rough. I am not worried about my bag getting abrasions over time, I thought about cutting the black plastic sub floor to fit and put it down, then lay the sack on top... that will be easy. I will probably try that. I still need to do the other side, hopefully this weekend.

I promise I will get the pics as soon as I can... maybe late tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:49 pm 
Team Axis

Sorry guys, it has been a real busy 4 days at work, but I was finally able to resize the pictures.....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:53 pm 
Team Axis

Here is the starboard side hard tank pulled out, along with the 3/4" fill hose and 3/4" drain hose. I did not change out the vent line because 3/4" vent line is plenty.

If you look in the middle of the hard tank, you may see my cuts, I used a electric jig saw to cut horizontally across the tank, was able to rotate it just enough to cut down the side a little bit... this was enough to allow the tank to flex so that I could pull the tank out.

I removed all the tanks fittings, the elbows for the fill and overflow, and the elbow for the drain. I tried for an hour to pull it without having to cut, so sunday when i pull my port hard tank, i will just cut it right away.

Attachments:
sumo5.jpg
sumo5.jpg [ 168.25 KiB | Viewed 39746 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:54 pm 
Team Axis

and the big hole at the bottom, that area of the tank sits under the floor in the corner seat area. I tried to cut this corner off to get clearance to pull it out. It did not work, so then I cut the middle of the tank to finally get it out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:55 pm 
Team Axis

here is a picture of all the parts needed to do ONE side only, minus the hose. I have a parts list from my order, pm me your cell number or email and I can send you a copy.

Attachments:
sumo4.jpg
sumo4.jpg [ 236.24 KiB | Viewed 39746 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next