It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Custom Fat Sacs for an A22?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:46 am 
Team Axis

I am already starting to think about winter boat projects :cry:

After my first year as a boat owner my wife and literally only wakeboarded about 3 or 4 times and spent most of the summer surfing. We usually don't have a large crew and the wave is just good enough to ride without a rope but tricks are very difficult.

We currently have 750's in the rear in our non-surfgate (ghetto gate equipped) 2012 A22. I like the bags Walter got that seem to fit the lockers really well, But I want an extra valve so I can connect the 2 locker bags together with a reversible pump so I can switch from regular wave to goofy quickly. Even with my ghetto gate I still like a little surf-side list to the boat.

There is the W719-EXV 1100lbs bag that has the extra drain port and is what I will probably get, But it had me thinking about getting a custom bag that also had a small tail the went under the small square corner seat and fit the locker perfectly (drop in cooler would need to be removed).

Are custom Fat Sacs super expensive?
Anyone else interested in a custom rear A22 sac so we could get a bulk discount?
Thoughts in general on my idea/plan?

Here is what I was thinking for a custom sac design:

Attachments:
File comment: Green shaded area represents are fat sac would occupy
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg [ 29.74 KiB | Viewed 27123 times ]
File comment: Idea for a custom fat sac
FatSac.jpg
FatSac.jpg [ 21.71 KiB | Viewed 27123 times ]

Post subject: Re: Custom Fat Sacs for an A22?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:50 am 
Site Admin

There is an option for it. I cannot remember exactly how much more it costs. How much extra weight do you think you will get out of the extension? We have done custom bags in the past with a long tail for the older Malibu boats but that tail was as long as a 400lb tube sac. So you got some bang for your buck on the bigger Malibu bags we did in the past. If it will only gain you a few extra lbs might not be worth the extra money.

Might be cheaper to just get a bag the size of the X2 rear bag and add an extra port on it or see if you can just make the bag a little taller. Not sure the exact size of the bag walter bought I think they were the X2 bag.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:00 am 
Team Axis

Even my 2014 axis likes it listed a little. I was thinking about buying some 150lb throw sacs to help me out when we have a small crew.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:27 am 
Team Axis

dezul wrote:
Even my 2014 axis likes it listed a little. I was thinking about buying some 150lb throw sacs to help me out when we have a small crew.

I bought a FH brick sack (rated around 150) at the beginning of the season and use it a lot more than I thought I would. It's especially awesome when there's an odd number of people in the boat or just the driver. It really helps keep both sides clean when wakeboarding, and since I have a '13 and still listing, it makes the surf wave that much better too. Takes very little time to fill and empty.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:50 pm 
Team Axis

admin wrote:
There is an option for it. I cannot remember exactly how much more it costs. How much extra weight do you think you will get out of the extension? We have done custom bags in the past with a long tail for the older Malibu boats but that tail was as long as a 400lb tube sac. So you got some bang for your buck on the bigger Malibu bags we did in the past. If it will only gain you a few extra lbs might not be worth the extra money.

Might be cheaper to just get a bag the size of the X2 rear bag and add an extra port on it or see if you can just make the bag a little taller. Not sure the exact size of the bag walter bought I think they were the X2 bag.

I did not expect to get much weight from the tail but I thought it may help keep the bag in place and off the engine divider and it would be a nice to use all of the space that efficiently. I am looking at the 1100 bags with extra port and plan on reenforcing the engine divider but thinking out the project just got me thinking how much more a custom one would cost (slow days at work cost me a lot of money due to daydreaming about boat projects). It would have to be under $300 for me to even consider it since the 1100's w/ extra port are around $200.

I am going to head out to the boat right now and measure it up to see exactly what shape it would be.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:26 am 
Team Axis

I measured it up and did a little math (hopefully my math is correct):

The Fly high 1100 lb bag actually holds 1034 lbs. completely full which it probably would not be in the A22 because is a little too long

A custom bag would hold 1020 lbs. and hopefully fill completely. Not sure if its worth the extra money but am a little curious how much more it would be.

Attachments:
FatSac.jpg
FatSac.jpg [ 25.61 KiB | Viewed 26995 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:25 pm 
Team Axis

The 720lb x-star bag I ordered fills completely and takes up the entire compartment other than the little front under seat area, a 150lb brick would probably be the equivalent of that. I'd say if you utilized all available space you may get 850-875 back there. Here's my 720's full
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410632615.346657.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410632615.346657.jpg [ 280.37 KiB | Viewed 26985 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:38 pm 
Team Axis

This is my opinion and experience. Custom sacs are not needed. I am running 900s in the rear with all ballast full. I have swamped the gates on multiple occassions.