It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Ordering T22 - Boat Cover, 2nd Fin, Ski Pylon, Dock Lites??
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:30 am 

Hi all,

I'm new to the Forum and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on ordering a T22 from my local dealer.

1. What are people's thoughts on the boat covers from Axis? It's a $647 option I'm wondering if I should buy from AXIS or if there are better values in 3rd party covers.

2. Do current T22 owners have any thoughts on the 2nd Gorilla Tracking Fin?

3. How about the Ski Pylon?

4. Docking Lights?

Thanks

Steve

Post subject: Re: Ordering T22 - Boat Cover, 2nd Fin, Ski Pylon, Dock Lit
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:20 pm 
Team Axis

Congrats man, what a great boat. I spent some time inside one at the dealer and really like it, have not ridden it yet but have heard great things from friends that have.

1. Do some research and look really hard on after market. The axis covers fit great and are easy to use, but they are not as good quality wise as some of the higher end aftermarket covers. I am sure you will be able to get a great cover for a couple hundred more than the OEM axis/malibu cover. Make sure to get a grey one if you go with an axis cover (unless you live in cold climates) as the black covers get really hot and cause mold or glue (jury still out on this) to come up and temporarily stain your vinyl where the cover touches.
I love my cover but after 2 years it is tearing at multiple places

2. I know you are asking about a T22 and I have an A22, but I have driven all sorts of malibu's…. A20, A22, A24, new vlx, old vlx, oldest vlx, LSV's 23 and 247, VTX, mxz 20 mxz 22…. and none of them had the 2nd fin. I hear the turning is incredible with the second fin, but the T22 is a malibu, and malibu's turning is already better than everyone else. If your riding spot is super tight where you have to turn around in, then MAYBE consider the 2nd fin. My riding spot is very very tight and I only have 1 fin…. fully weighted turning is absolutely no problem. I can't imagine you riding in a spot that requires a tighter turn than we have. Save that 300-600 bucks and use it for a really good towable boat cover.

3. Ahhh ski pylon. Do not have one, have not missed not having one for many reasons.. but there have been times when I would have liked to have it… like teaching the young ones on ski trainers, and filming from a tube…etc. But I do love how there is not pylon in the way of the sun pad. It sure gets in the way a lot. If it was a true retractable pylon, that would be nice. Not retractable like malibu's pseudo retractable one that does not go down all the way and becomes a knee buster and ankle roller, but an actual pylon that drops below the cushion. That would be worth it.

4. I have no experience with these.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:24 pm 
Team Axis

The docking lights do work very well. Just remember they are docking lights, not driving/cruising lights. They do very well in the marina and at boat ramps.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:12 pm 

Thanks for the advice. I'll be going with all 3 of these options. Order goes in on Friday.

I'm going with the Axis cover. The boat will be in my boat house 90% of the time so the wear and tear on the cover will be minimal.

Will take the the advice and skip the extra fin.

We will be pulling tubers and therefore we could use the Pylon.

Our lake has 5-6 pretty good restaurant/bars with docks. It sounds like the docking lights function well. I can see them coming in handy.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:34 pm 
Boater

I have had my T22 about a month. Pretty much agree with everything except docking lights. The docking lights are on the trailer not the boat I believe andreally don't do much but look good, once you get the boat between the guides it's on the trailer and done

I only have one fin the boat turns great.

I think the axis cover is as good as any aftermarket cover I have seen and it fits right.

ski pylon is good for many things skiing, tubing, surfing I would not pull a tube from the tower.

also for docking rig a rope to both sides around that pole and it will keep the boat centered and not hit the sides of the dock.

Also it is easier to hook the surf rope to it and the rope stays on the platform when tossed in the boat. It hasn't been in the way for us

Get the chillax seat everybody uses it on our boat.

Swinging board racks work well

Stereo that up to you but sound pack II is better than malibus current set up have not heard Sound pack III seems expensive though.

I would skip getting the upgraded trailer options except for the color of your choice, you can get better wheels and tires from your local tire shop for less.

One thing our boat does not have but I will added this winter is depth
finder comes in handy when you're on unfamiliar water.

Not sure if the fold down tower is now standard or an option but I would get that if it's not standard.

if you surf get it plumbed for plug and play those extra sacks are the only way to go and they work well.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:36 pm 
Team Axis

^^^ Docking lights are ON THE BOAT just under the bow, trailer lights are the LED's on the trailer. The docking lights on the A-series boats work very well for loading and around the marina. I'm sure on the T22 the docking lights on the boat work just as well.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:22 am 
Team Axis

I was gonna skip the 2nd track fin. I finalized the deal with the dealer and he came back and gave it to me for free. During the delivery I was BLOWN away!!! My wife freaking loves this thing. I have only driven a handful of boats with the only Malibu being a 2007 VLX it drove like a freaking pig compared to my A22 with the second fin. I know its just a second track fin right. Everybody says its only good for turns, but I noticed (compared to the 07 VLX) when you have a rider that cuts really hard and pulls the boat over(leans) its a night and day difference. The lean is greatly reduced. Its amazing and what like $200. Get it you wont regret it

I'm not really excited about my factory cover, it works but its thin and I wished it was sunbrella material. I don't see it lasting that long, but I do store outdoors. I would seriously take a look at evolution covers. They are quite the hit on the Malibu crew. The owner has an amazing, unheard of warranty and will customize it any way you want. He can make swim platform covers, etc. Expensive but worth every penny, wished I had one. I will when mine falls apart, but wished I had it from day one.

ski pylon - couple dealers tried to shove this down my throat. They actually told me my resell would be lower, hahahaha. Haven't needed it so far and its nice not having it in the way for people to hit their knees, ankles, etc on. If it would drop down, maybe. For tubing ive always used a Y setup off of the D rings, I don't like the rope dragging on the vinyl and sometimes people want to sit back there while helping kids get up and going.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:16 pm 
Team Axis

I don't know how much difference the second fin makes as I've never been in a boat with it. But my a22 already does much better tracking and mean during cuts than any of my friends boats.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:50 am 
Boater

Sorry about the docking light that what my dealer called the leds on the trailer. Anybody got pictures of docking lights on a T22? I would like to see what they look like :D

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:01 am 
Team Axis

Here they are
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401462102.885623.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401462102.885623.jpg [ 182.62 KiB | Viewed 34728 times ]