It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Which Sub Woofer for 2014 Axis A20
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:27 am 

Hi all,

I have a Aussie built Jan 2014 Axis A20 with the basic stereo pack (Clarion CMD8) and 4 Alpine 6.5" speakers in the rear passenger area.

The Clarion puts out about 50W RMS and the Alpines start popping at 30W. Anyway first step is to put in a Wet Sounds subwoofer in the drivers kick panel. I was thinking of the XS-10FA which does not need a box and will work in free air, or should I go for a 12 inch? The panels looks plenty being enough for either.

Any suggestions on an amp? I intend to add a couple of speakers to the tower later and replace the 4 inside the boar with some wet sounds ones which will handle the power.

What suggestions does the group have.

At present we are mainly wake surfing (but sooner or later we will get sick of this and start wake boarding again).

Chris

Post subject: Re: Which Sub Woofer for 2014 Axis A20
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:11 am 
Team Axis

vk5cp wrote:
Hi all,

I have a Aussie built Jan 2014 Axis A20 with the basic stereo pack (Clarion CMD8) and 4 Alpine 6.5" speakers in the rear passenger area.

The Clarion puts out about 50W RMS and the Alpines start popping at 30W. Anyway first step is to put in a Wet Sounds subwoofer in the drivers kick panel. I was thinking of the XS-10FA which does not need a box and will work in free air, or should I go for a 12 inch? The panels looks plenty being enough for either.

Any suggestions on an amp? I intend to add a couple of speakers to the tower later and replace the 4 inside the boar with some wet sounds ones which will handle the power.

What suggestions does the group have.

At present we are mainly wake surfing (but sooner or later we will get sick of this and start wake boarding again).

Chris

Since you don't currently have a subwoofer, I would suggest going with a sealed or ported enclosure and getting away from the free air subwoofer since you will have to construct up something to hold the subwoofer anyways. As far as brand goes, that is all up to you. I do recommend a 12" woofer over a 10".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:55 pm 
Team Axis

Totally agree with dezul. I have a wetsounds 12 inch sub mounted free air and am probably losing half of what it can do. I am definitely planning to build a proper enclosure for it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:58 am 
Boater

free air space subs are doo doo, definitely wouldnt waste my time if theres nothing there to begin with. The factory apline sub and the pathetic plastic "enclosure" face is just terrible, its makes racket... but its not accurate bass, just rattles everything, your steering wheel included. Best thing ive done with my boat is build a ported enclosure, currently using an alpine type R 12" and its pretty impressive. Becareful with all that wetsounds hype... they make awesome tower speakers but imo thats really the extent of their forte. Their are other brands that make better subs and amps. I.E. Alpine and JL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:57 am 

thanks guys...will have to increase my woodworking skills over winter down under

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:03 pm 
Boater

If you're not crazy about building a full box, you may find that using a 12" sonotube between two panels (3/4" MDF board) will work nicely for you. If you have a router you can recess the tube into a groove in the end panel prior to adding adhesive and sealant.

Here's one for a T22, before paint or undercoating.

Attachments:
IMG_3640.jpg
IMG_3640.jpg [ 48.12 KiB | Viewed 34962 times ]
IMG_3637.jpg
IMG_3637.jpg [ 46.22 KiB | Viewed 34962 times ]
IMG_3636.jpg
IMG_3636.jpg [ 43.19 KiB | Viewed 34962 times ]

peter@smoothwatersports.com
Facebook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:38 pm 
Team Axis

So if my math is right that sonotube needs to be 17" long to = the recommended 1.1 cubic feet for a wetsounds XS12. I'll have to measure and see if that will fit under the dash of my A24 - I like that idea!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:52 pm 
Boater

Yes, 17" is good, and make sure you router a groove to slide the tube into for a good airtight seal.

Facebook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:48 pm 
Team Axis

Cool idea. Does it effect the sound any being in a cylinder versus a square box?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:18 am 
Boater

I've not done any side-by-side tests, but I'm sure there are some audiophiles out there that have. They sound good to me, which of course is like saying I what colors look good to me. lol…

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417218/sonotube-vs-box
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ ... -good.html

Here's a really old sub-build video with lots of advertising and chitchat, but has good points.
http://revision3.com/systm/boom

Peter

Facebook