It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: A few questions on a "Prop"er setup
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:00 am 
Team Axis

Get it? See what I did there with the title? Just a little word play, no big deal.

Anyways, I'm hoping to install the PNP Ballast system in my A20 with the 335hp before next season but I'm not sure if I'm going to need to upgrade my prop. My current prop is the CNC Nibral 4-blade, 13.5 X 16, I've decided either to go with the Pro X Series 1750lb setup or the 2450lb PNP system. (I'd rather get the bigger set for Obvious reasons). I will rarely if ever have more than 8 people in the boat at a time.

Will I need to prop up no matter which PNP system I go with? What Prop would you recommend?

And will the 335hp engine be able to handle the 2450 set up?

And can anyone tell my why the 1750lb setup is more than the 2450lb?
http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=3938
http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.p ... ts_id=5365

Thanks alot for any Help

2012 A20

Post subject: Re: A few questions on a "Prop"er setup
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:52 am 
Team Axis

You'll want the 750's in the rear from what I have read, especially if you plan to surf. That's what I'm putting in my 2013 A20 once it arrives. My dealer also recommended that b/c of the additional weight to upgrade to the OJ Cinco prop. Several people with A22's have been using the 1100 bags in the rear, but I believe planing can be a task with the standard engine setup.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:24 am 
Team Axis

I believe the heavier setup is actually less since it isn't using the 'axis specific' bags/fittings. The larger bags will work just like the others, you just have to do the fittings to match up to the stock pnp system.

As for prop, I would highly recommend the OJ Cinco prop if you're going to go with either option. I have the 1750 setup on my 335 A20, and the 5 blade does a good job of getting it moving whereas the stock prop had really struggled.

One last opinion, and maybe something that I just have struggled with. I believe the A20 front pnp may not be able to expand as much as on the A22. I say this because you absolutely will need additional bow weight beyond the front pnp either way, but especially if you go with the larger rear sacs. For the wake, you'll need that front weight to keep it nice and firm/clean. Also, for planing with that added weight.

For me, I went with the 1750 so that I could get by with just having someone sit up front rather than run more bags on the seat, and so I could keep some rear storage.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:10 am 
Team Axis

I agree with Steele. A good option would be to go ahead and get the 750's if you plan on using more weight in the future. You don't have to fill them to capacity, but you'll have room to grow if needed. On the other hand, not a bad problem having a couple of extra 400's laying around if you go that route initially and end up upgrading to 750's later.

I have two Fly High tube sacs (370+ each) that I used on my old I/O. I plan to throw one of those up in the bow when the 750's are filled all the way up. The additional tube sac weight combined with the front PnP bag should work fine. I will most likely use the other one on top of the seat for additional weight on the surf side when surfing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:58 pm 
Team Axis

Yes, re prop for sure. Cinco is a great prop, ACME 1235 is a great prop, OJ Core (14.5 x 12?) is a beast if you do not plan on doing any higher speed or long distance cruising. Acme also has a couple 15" 4 blades that have some good reviews by people, not sure on top end but the bottom end will easily get what you plan on having up to speed.

As for the bags, x2 the 750's. You do not have to fill them all the way. Sumo Sack makes a 600 that is the same dimensions of the 750's but are about 15" shorter. so basically the same length and width as the 400's, just taller. Anyone with the 750's know that the bags cannot fill completely as the fronts get squished under the access box against the back seats. These sumo 600's will fill completely and not put any pressure on your access cover in your locker. they have nice fittings that are ready for plug n play as well. I plan on trying these bags side by side comparison to my 750's soon.

As for the 400's. DO NOT BUY the AXIS 400's. they are a lot more expensive than the x-series 400's and are exactly the same except the latter do not say "axis" on the bags and they have screw in fittings, not cemented in fittings.

So. My opinion would be as follows: 1) SUMO 600's for rear, axis bow sack, and throw some lead up in the bow.
2) Fly High 750's for rear, axis bow sack, and lead in bow.
3) Fly High 400's for rear, axis bow sack, and maybe you wont need lead in bow unless you run wedge.

4) Depending on when you take delivery of your boat, SUMO is coming out soon with an axis specific bow sack that is a little bit bigger and the back skinny "stem" part that runs under the chillax seats is longer. Should hold a lot more water and is going to be cheaper than the fly high axis bow pnp sack. Not sure when it is coming out, but I will find out soon hopefully if you are interested. It will be my next sack.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:41 pm 
Team Axis

Screw that! If you ever plan on trying to ake a killer surf wave, get 1100s! Fill as needed for wakeboarding

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:45 am 
Team Axis

^x2 I wish I would have gotten the 1100s. I surf quite a bit though. The 750s will do the trick, but I always want more!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:21 pm 
Team Axis

I have 750's and keep 200lbs of lead on my boat I can move around. I didn't want to hassle with bracing the engine compartment for the 1100's and they don't fill to 1100lbs anyways.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:51 pm 
Team Axis

Johnnydefacto wrote:

- I plan on trying these bags side by side comparison to my 750's soon.

- SUMO is coming out soon with an axis specific bow sack that is a little bit bigger and the back skinny "stem" part that runs under the chillax seats is longer. Should hold a lot more water and is going to be cheaper than the fly high axis bow pnp sack. Not sure when it is coming out, but I will find out soon hopefully if you are interested. It will be my next sack.

Wow, that sounds awesome...especially for the front sac. Will it also connect right up to the stock PnP attachments? Please keep us in the loop as you do your comparison and/or hear anything more about that front sac.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:31 pm 
Team Axis

Here is a few options of weighting...

(1)3400 lbs use plug n play under up front with another 400 sac on top. run two 750s in rear with stock setup full.
(2)3400 lbs do like im doing and take the front plug n play and remove the cemented fittings and get regular bag caps. The front bag on top of the bow will expand to about 1000 after its been stretched out. run both 750s in the rear.
(3)4150 do the same as number 2 with another 750 in the floor of the boat. run the bag long ways so the ends are point towards bow and transom.

These setups all include using the wedge. You will not do setup 3 without the 2315. The cinco or 1235 will not get the boat on plane with the wedge. JohnnyD does not use a wedge. He pounds his boat with 4-5k I believe. He is just a non wedgy person. I did get on plane with 4600 lbs in my boat a elevation with the 1235 with no wedge. I had to back down to 3600 lbs to use the wedge with the 1235.

GET THE 2315 prop. Acme is swearing by it... you will soon see it on the axis site im sure. Probably next year when you see the Axis A24 ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next