It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: A few questions on a "Prop"er setup
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:05 pm 
Team Axis

You are on the money with the "its a preferance thing" haha.

If I were you, I would call ACME and talk to them about props. They will stay on the phone with you for an hour talking even if you do not commit to by anything.

As for wakeprops.com, that is a cool thing they have setup. I dont think many would agree with their recommendations. Some would say the 5 blade is better than the 1235. IMO, its not. Call ACME for sure. They will not steer you wrong and can even send you test info.

AWESOME you got those bags at such a deal. I wish I could have been included!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:12 pm 
Team Axis

AOE, man thats awesome you got those bags, sounds like you got a KILLER deal too. I wish I would get kick backs, that would be fun, but no, I don't. I would have to pay full price just like you. I just try to give an honest assessment of the products I buy and get to try, hoping that it will help someone down the line. I am kinda jealous that you are starting fresh cuz you will have the best set up... those 600's plus the sumo bow sack (if you go that way and if it gets made in time). I am going to keep my set up cuz its already done, but your setup will be sick.

Did you get the 600s yet and did they come with the thread-in pnp male fittings?

I agree with the lack of prop help. When I ordered, there was even less info and less props to choose from. If that acme 2079 comes with a warning about going fast, then it is probably very comprable to OJ's 4 blade Core prop. Top speed on my boat with the 335 was 35ish. I pulled a REALLY great rider with my boat and that prop, he rides at 28 mph, and my engine was SCREAMING.... Partially because of the high rpms, but the other was because that prop was very loud in general. If you pull skiers over 30mph, stay away from the OJ Core prop (14.75 x 13). That ACME 2079 (14.5 x 12) is going to probably be even less top speed, like 33-34 ??? Not sure what the 1/4" less diameter will do, but 1" more pitch is a lot. Ask the guys with the 1235 (14.5 x 14.25) and I think their top speed is around 37. The 2079 is 2.25" more pitch than the 1235.

Not sure when you have to decide, but I have access to a 1235 and I need to get off my butt and put that thing on and go test...

Hopefully soon.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:48 pm 
Team Axis

Sac Attack

Yeah, I was stoked on the deal too. The funny thing is it was all blind luck; I didn’t go there looking for the bags, I was just there to check out some ‘13 boards and see what deals they had on gear. I thought they only carried Fly-high bags, but there happened to be one 600 sumo sac sitting out on the floor with a bunch of other smaller 125 lbs bags so I asked one of the guys to go dig around in the back for another one, he came out 10 mins later and told me this was the last one.

No Johnny the bags didn’t come with any fittings just the female 1” NPT threaded ports. When the time comes I plan on just calling Wake Makers and have them help me with all the fittings I’ll need. I’m in no hurry to install the 600’s; I want to wait until I decide on the bow sac and order everything at once.

Good Idea on calling ACME, I’ll give them a ring sometime next week or so, when I do I’m tell’em the Gibster sent me. Maybe I’ll get a secret squirrel discount on that too. I’ll be sure to post what their recommendations are on the prop as I’m sure others have the same questions I do.

2012 A20

Last edited by Axis Of Evil on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:27 pm 
Team Axis

Pat, and everyone else. I was able to go ride today with a couple friends and test out the soon-to-be-released Straightline Sumo 900 Axis bow sack.

Short story- Awesome, almost perfect.

Long story- I pulled my fly high sack out and layed them side by side. It is really hard to see in the pictures but the Sumo nose is shaped differently.

Size: Sumo for the win.

It is a little bigger and has less of a point, more round like a mushroom. It appears that it will fill more of the gaps under the seats in the bow and hold more water. The stem part of the sumo sack was a few inches longer and a couple inches wider. It is easily noticeable in the pictures. The stem def takes up more space under the chillax seats once full (I always have my seats up to allow for complete filling) and I noticed that it "ballooned" up a bit higher than the fly high.

Fittings: Sumo for the win.

Sumo has 1" ID fitting holes as opposed to fly highs 3/4" ID holes. The drain fitting is in the same location on both sacks. That was my only complaint of how it could be further improved. The drain fitting is a couple inches up from the floor just like the Fly High. If it is possible, putting it all the way at the floor level would help to drain the sack completely. The farthest rear fill/vent fitting is approx placed at the same place on the Sumo as on the Fly High. The second fill/vent fitting on the Sumo is placed closer to the first fill/vent hole, placing both fill/vents under the chillax seats. This is a great improvement over the fly high as the fly high sack places one of the fittings under the fiberglass floor of the bow. This is the fitting that Axis factory sets up the vent line to with plug n play, not allowing all the air to get out. On mine, I made that fitting the fill, and moved the vent line to be under the chillax seats to allow for more air to leave. The sumo sack accounts for this problem. In addition, there is a manual spring fill/vent/burp fitting (that i think allows for tsunami pump filling) that was placed at the access hole in the bow. I was able to burp the sac once it was full using this fitting, but to my surprise, only water came out. As you will see in the pictures, the sac is full.

Weight: Sumo for the win.

I am not that good of a rider and could not tell, but my friends that helped me today are great riders and both noticed that the wake was a little bit more mellow, with a tiny bit less lip, than normal. They both ride my boat often, so they noticed the difference. We are thinking that was proof that the sumo holds a bit more water. If I get this sack someday, or if I get to try it again, I will move 100 lbs of lead out of the bow tips and place them in the middle/back of the boat and test the wake again. This sumo sac and 300 lead is probably going to be money.

Price: Not sure, but I imagine it will be the same price or less than the fly high. Even if it was a little bit more, it is a better sack and worth the money, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:43 pm 
Team Axis

pictures

Attachments:
SUMOempty.jpg
SUMOempty.jpg [ 117.31 KiB | Viewed 21078 times ]
sumobowsack.jpg
sumobowsack.jpg [ 145.88 KiB | Viewed 21078 times ]
FH on SUMO.jpg
FH on SUMO.jpg [ 123.31 KiB | Viewed 21078 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:46 pm 
Team Axis

more

Attachments:
File comment: Here is the access hole in the bow under the center cushion, the spring loaded vent/fill is easy to get to
SUMOvent.jpg
SUMOvent.jpg [ 95.62 KiB | Viewed 21078 times ]
File comment: You can see how full it gets and how much more water it holds compared to the Fly high, plus both fill and vent lines are easily accessible and this configuration prevents kinking and tweaking of the hoses and fittings
SUMOfull.jpg
SUMOfull.jpg [ 111.09 KiB | Viewed 21078 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:25 pm 
Team Axis

John - great write-up and pics...will definitely be looking at these when available. Few questions please:

- Any idea when it will be available?

- Stupid question, but are you saying that because of the different shape it will fill more of the area in the forward section under the seats? So not only adding more weight but also placing that weight a bit farther forward than the Fly High...

- Ballooning under chill-ax seats...given it rises more, did you notice it put more pressure on the points of the seat brackets? In the picture, it almost looks like the bag goes up between them rather than pressure under, so maybe less pressure on the points?

- Do you know if fit and function will be the same on the A20? Not sure how much of a size difference there is in the bow between the two models...

- Have you had any issues with the Fly High venting out on its own, and did you notice any difference with the Sumo?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:59 pm 
Team Axis

SteeleAxis wrote:
John - great write-up and pics...will definitely be looking at these when available. Few questions please:

- Any idea when it will be available?

- Stupid question, but are you saying that because of the different shape it will fill more of the area in the forward section under the seats? So not only adding more weight but also placing that weight a bit farther forward than the Fly High...

- Ballooning under chill-ax seats...given it rises more, did you notice it put more pressure on the points of the seat brackets? In the picture, it almost looks like the bag goes up between them rather than pressure under, so maybe less pressure on the points?

- Do you know if fit and function will be the same on the A20? Not sure how much of a size difference there is in the bow between the two models...

- Have you had any issues with the Fly High venting out on its own, and did you notice any difference with the Sumo?

Thanks!

Steele:

I was told sometime around March they will be ready to buy.

I think that it does add a little more forward weight, as well as more weight under the chillax seats. It is hard to tell because there is no way to look or feel around under the bow when the sac is full.

I did notice that the chillax brackets did not put as much pressure into the sumo sac as the fly high. The fly high will have 4 indentions on it after using it all day, but the sumo did not. I have a protector bag cover on my fly high sac for this exact reason, I do not want it to eventually punter the sack, I have heard it happen to a couple guys on this forum already. I do not know why the sumo does not have the same issue, maybe since it balloons upwards a little bit more, it is able to squeeze in between the brackets better? Anyhow, I would not be worried about the brackets puncturing the Sumo sac like I do about my fly high sac.

I think the A20 and A22 have the same bow, the 2 foot loss comes in the cockpit... not sure though. You would have to ask about how the fly high fits in the A20 to someone else. I have not heard of any problems yet, so I think the sumo will be great in an A20 (or A24).

Self venting? Not on either sac. On my fly high I switched how the hoses were ran to the fill and vents on my initial install and have had no issues with bag draining, auto filling, or self venting. The sumo sac had no issues either.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:48 am 
Team Axis

UPDATE:

I was able to use my normal 750's today and paid attention to my left rear locker sack fill time. I mentioned during the 600 sumo vs 750 fly high test that the 750 on the right side filled faster than the 600 on the left side. I did not know if one was slower than the other and remembered that one side sometimes filled slower.

So today, my Left rear 750 filled slightly faster than the Right 750 (<30 seconds). So with that knowledge, the sumo 600 I used a few weeks ago in my Left locker appears to hold more water than the fly high 750. During the 600 test, the 750 fly high on the right side filled first by 30 seconds... If this is consistent (and to my best memory, it is) that means the 600 is heavier. As previously stated, I did not notice any difference in wake size on that side or swim step level, so I knew it was close, but this is really cool news.

sumo 600 will be my next sac.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:37 pm 
Team Axis

@ John - I ordered my Sumo 600s from the dealer @ the Atlanta show, and the pricing was pretty good (about 275 for the pair-i think). The dealer talked to LF and they said the bow sac would be there around March, but he did not mention the price point. Do you know if they are going to be about the same as the Fly High (around 300ish)?
Also, copy and paste this thread to LF because they should give you some freebies for your sales advice!
Thanks for the great info and write ups.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next