It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: A20 Surf Wake
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:57 am 

Does anyone have their surf wave dialed in on their A20? I'm having a heck of a time figuring out what I need to do for a clean regular side wave. Haven't tried the goofy yet but if you have ideas on that as well I am open. Thanks for any help.

Michael

Post subject: Re: A20 Surf Wake
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:10 am 
Team Axis

You need to fill the rear hard tank on the side you want to surf on. Fill another sac (preferably a 750lb) in the rear hatch on that same side. No center ballast and no ballast on the non-surf side. Wedge up. Then, fill the front pnp sac completely. If you don't have a front pnp sac, go buy one. 11.5 mph the wave is money. You have to put a lot of weight in the front of the A20 and A22 to get a clean wave.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:35 am 

Thanks a ton man. I'll try that the next time I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:25 pm 

The a22 and a20 both have the same swim deck witch trashes the wake. If you dont believe me put 1500 # on one side and take off the deck and see what happens. the only reason you would have to put alot of weight in the front is to get the deck out off the water hens the point of all the weight in the corner is to get a big wake not flat and long. I made a personal deck to fix the prob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

Do you have a picture of the deck?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:56 am 
Team Axis

The A20 and A22 hulls were tweaked such that the rear running surface of those boats has much less lift than other similar wakeboats. The hull surfaces on most wakeboats are designed to force the rear of the boat out of the water at slow speads to assist with planing out. This is why, with most other boats, you have to put tons of weight in the rear and not much up front. Also, designing a hull that forces lift in the rear of the boat also, at higher speeds, like 32+mph, helps smooth out the ski/slalom wake. The A22 and A20 are not ski boats. They are wakeboats. For some reason, most manufacturers of wakeboats still sacrifice certain wake characteristics out of a desire to help smooth the ski wake. For the life of me, I don't understand why you would want to ski behind a 230, 210, x2, etc.

Anywho, by overweighting the rear of an A20 and A22, you end up losing the wave shaping countour of the hull. Filling the front pnp bag, and not using the wedge, you ballance out the boat much better and allow the hull to shape up a nice wave. In my experience, all the platform does is cause a little foot high splash right behind the platform. What wrecks the wave is over weighting the boat in the wrong places. I know this because I did exactly that when I first got my A22. I thought the platform was the problem as well. However, someone in the know took the time to get under my boat, explain everything to me, show me how to weigh the boat, and bam, I had a perfect, clean, consistent wave.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:16 am 

I second Chatt on this - this past weekend I had the left rear hard ballast+750 plug n' play full, and about 5 people sitting on the left side and it actually overweighted it (or seemed to). It made the swim platform's edge drag so deep under the water that it actually started to ruin the wave. In addition, the shape of the wave suffered horribly compared to having it weighted down less. I can easily imagine this being remedied by more weight up front and can't wait to try next weekend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:32 pm 
Team Axis

Agreed,
I finally got mine tweaked a couple weeks ago. I now fill all the front and center when i fill the 1100 in the rear. It is a sweet wake with no problem from the teak anymore. It was all about balancing the weight. I was very concerned last year but now i think it is one of the best surf wakes i have ridden.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:44 pm 

Well if you guys have never taken off the Deck then you will never know what the axis will do without it and i would uploud a picture but the site says The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 256 KiB.Send mail address and ill send pict. I will put 1000 dollars cash to the person that brings me an origonal deck on an A20 or A22 that will put out a bigger wake than mine. I paid 1500 dollars to have the fiber glass redone on my deck to my personal design. Of course im serious about surfing and my deck is rounded like a nautic deck. I laid the factory deck on a peice of 1/1/8 plywood and scribed the factory deck then jigsawed it then i mounted it to the brackets on the back of my boat and put it in the water and cut a little off at a time until the deck did not interfear anymore with the wake now not everybody will put a 300 dollar cordless dewalt skillsaw in the water like i did but if you want to get the wake another 12 to 16 inches taller then pull off the deck and design a new one. The deck cuts off the wake at your knees id rather have it at my waist. If you guys have ever seen a really tall wake and i mean a really tall wake! waist high you wont get it with a factory deck. Pull the pins out pull the deck off for i minute see what happens. I run 4 125# bags on the seat 1100# bag in the corner plus the 200# hard tank under the floor between the side seat and the back corner thats 1800# plus the front and center 10 miles per hour

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:56 pm 

I have 3 tsunami ballast pumps hooked up to each 1100# bag in the corner plumbed to the opposite side so my water lines look like an x in front of my moter so that once i have one side full the hard tank under the floor and the 1100# bag i can shift 1300# of water to the opposite side in about 4 minutes for goofy riders or regular the system cost about 1200 dollars and thats with me putting it together