It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Winterization
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:46 am 

What winterization steps do you go thru for your Axis? I've winterized other inboards before, but this is my first year for my Axis and don't want to miss anything. Also, if there are any gotchas to be careful of, please let me know.

Most depressing time of the year...

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Winterization
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:30 pm 
Axis Owner

not quite ready to put ours away yet... but would be interested in hearing some thoughts out there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:04 am 
Axis Owner

I am going to do mine next month sometime. This will be the first winterization for my Axis but I am going to follow the same steps as I did on my 2004 Wakesetter.

1. Fill Gas Tank add Fuel Stabilizer
2. Drain block then fill with antifreeze.
3. Fog Engine
4. Spray down engine mounts with CRC and other corrosive metals.
5. Remove Impeller and loosen main drive belt
6. Good Wash and Wax Job
7. Hook batteries up to trickle chargers.

I just had an oil change and the tranny fluid is good so I am not changing it now but usually I would do that also at this time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:14 pm 

Don't forget to drain your heater core if you have a heater. Also if you have ballast bags make sure you drain them and leave a cap off. Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:22 pm 
Axis Owner

what if you keep the boat in a garage over winter that never gets below 40 deg.?
I live in Seattle and have always drained the block on my other boat, but wonder if really necessary if kept indoors over winter? my downtime is from Nov-Feb.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:43 pm 
Axis Owner

I'm always a bit paranoid about this. The way I see it, winterization is cheap insurance in case the heat in the garage fails. The oil probably should be changed anyway, and I don't really want lake water sitting in my heater core for months and months anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:09 pm 
Team Axis

im hoping to ride at least once a month so i don't have to winterize mine, but i live in west texas so it never gets really cold around here for too long

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:29 pm 
Team Axis

i made an adapter that fits on my trans where the raw water intake hose goes. i take off the raw water hose and put the adapter on and run a hose to a tank filled with antifreeze and run the motor until antifreeze comes out the exhaust. this will winterize the heater and running the shower at the same time will winterize it as well. takes about 30 minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:30 pm 
Axis Owner

DBragg wrote:
i made an adapter that fits on my trans where the raw water intake hose goes. i take off the raw water hose and put the adapter on and run a hose to a tank filled with antifreeze and run the motor until antifreeze comes out the exhaust. this will winterize the heater and running the shower at the same time will winterize it as well. takes about 30 minutes.

You will want to take off your thermostat off if you are doing it that way. It does not open up until 160 to 180 degrees. It may come out the exhaust, but possibly not through the engine block.

Perhaps if you heat it up all the way, and promptly which to anti-freeze then it may be safe.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:44 am 
Team Axis

Actually I winterize several boats a year with this setup and never run them longer than it takes to run through about 5 gallons of antifreeze and it always fills the block. I know because I check the drain docks to make sure. I don't want any cracked blocks. I have heard that before but a my old malibu dealer is the one that showed me how to do it that way. And by doing it this way you don't have to worry about the water jacket in the trans.