It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Different tower on Axis A22
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:18 am 

We are considering buying an A22 (currently own a 2004 Malibu VLX) but I want to have a different tower installed on the A22 (preferably something similar to the old Illusion towers). I am told by the local dealer that Axis will ship the boat without a tower and I can arrange for an aftermarket tower to be added.

Our main goals in doing this is to get a tower that will fit into our garage when collapsed and there are aesthetic and other subjective considerations.

Has anyone done this before? Any downsides to doing this?

Post subject: Re: Different tower on Axis A22
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:58 pm 

I think it comes down to personal preference. I personally like the idea of the axis tower because it's all one piece from my understanding. I have a collapsible tower currently and in my opinion - they suck. They wiggle, they creak when someone cuts hard, and in general are not as solid as a contiguous tower would be.

That being said if you don't have the garage door to fit it, you're SOL. I think you'd be just fine installing an aftermarket, but you might want to consider having the dealer put it in or at least make sure you've got proper reinforcement where you drill the tower mounts into the hull.

Otherwise I think you're good to go. I hate collapsible towers enough I'd add an addition to my garage before switching towers ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

The Axis boats are so new that I have never seen a non-Axis tower on one. I do not think it would be any different than mounting an after market tower on any other boat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:20 pm 
Axis Owner

This Axis tower will fold down. I bought mine @ the end of 09, and the two side bars that supports the tower and has the wakeboard rack attached to it, That has 4 bolts per side (8 bolts total), remove those bolts, and she fold down lower then the windshield. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:38 pm 
Team Axis

ga_boater wrote:
This Axis tower will fold down. I bought mine @ the end of 09, and the two side bars that supports the tower and has the wakeboard rack attached to it, That has 4 bolts per side (8 bolts total), remove those bolts, and she fold down lower then the windshield. :D

How long do you find it takes to lower or raise the tower?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:39 am 
Axis Owner

I do this only twice a year. In the beginning and in the end of the season. The tower light and speakers will rest on the rear seat, so you just need something to support the tower so it does not do dammage to your seat. Also it's a 2 person job. so grab somone to help.

Once I got that done, I just put the cover back on and I put her to bed for the year.