It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: A22/T22 Towing with 2.3L Ford Explorer ?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:14 am 

Anyone have a recent model AWD Ford Explorer that is towing an A22 or T22 ? I only need to pull the boat up a very short and shallow boat ramp once a year. Literally the ramp is like 50' long. Vehicle is rated for 5300 lbs towing which is right at the total of boat & trailer. Does the 2.3L have enough torque and vehicle weight to get traction to get up a wet boat ramp ? I'm mainly worried about wheel slip. I realize that this Explorer is not the ideal tow vehicle, but I won't be trailering this more than 20 miles year year - so this is a not a huge concern.

Post subject: Re: A22/T22 Towing with 2.3L Ford Explorer ?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

I think with the AWD you shouldnt have much of an issue with the slip. just make sure you have all the ballast drained etc. Ive pulled boats out with smaller trucks in the past and never had any issues. You can even use the boat to 'assist' getting it rolling out of the water. Just dont run the boat once it cannot get water from the intake.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:30 pm 

Thanks admin. At least I know I'm not totally crazy. FYI, my current solution is borrowing a neighbors truck trading a case of beer for the use of their F150/Sierras when I pull the boat out in the fall. This can continue to be my backup. However, when I test with the AWD Explorer I'll report back and let you know the results.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

A case of beer is not a bad trade-off. Plus he can sit at the ramp while you load. Two man load is better than having to run around by yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:48 am 
Team Axis

I pulled my A22 with a KIA Sorrento AWD until this year when I got a KIA Telluride AWD. At the launch ramp, the small SUVs with AWD beat the trucks every time, in my experience. Hauling down the highway is a different thing altogether.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:55 pm 

To help close this posting out - I did end up getting a 2.3 Ford Explorer AWD with the newer 10R transmission and tow package. It had zero issues pulling out my T22 from the public access ramp. The ramps weren't super wet or slippery and the Explorer walked the boat/trailer out with zero wheel slip. I was pleasantly surprised. The best thing about all of this is Ford finally upgraded the flat 4-pin trailer harness to the standard round 7-pin and I no longer need the trailer key for reverse. It's the little things in life !!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

It is the little things.

When I went from trailering to a slip. Changed my boating life completely. Might not be a little thing cost wise. :)