It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Buying new boat... need help from guys who know
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:52 pm 

So my kids are getting to an age where I need to substantially upgrade my boat. I've got my choice narrowed down to three choices if I move into a new product.

Axis A20 Moomba Mondo ATX Type 20

I expect I'll get answers biased toward Axis given the board I'm posting this on, but anyone want to chime in? I'd be interested in knowing from Axis owners how they feel about their own boats and the competition.

I'm a big guy and like to slalom ski, but the boat will spend more than 50% of it's time surfing, with the remaining time split fairly evenly between skiing, wakeboarding, and tubing. I'm mostly concerned with throwing a big wake while avoiding excessive lifting in the bow.

Also, larger boats above about 21' are out due to wanting to keep my same dry dock. Plus, my lake is not too big and a bigger boat looks like a Bugatti trying to race on a go-kart track.

Post subject: Re: Buying new boat... need help from guys who know
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:57 pm 

If anyone has any insights here, even for a newb, I'd really appreciate it. This kind of cash outlay for me is painful, and I'm leaning toward an A20... if anyone can arm me with some pros and cons of the A20 over it's main competition in the lower-cost 20' segment (even though it still costs as much as a house), it'd help me out.

The ATX dealer and I have done some biz before, and I know Tige makes great boats. That's probably the main alternative. Moomba is attractive based on price and the available features. However, I know a lot of Malibu/Axis customers are in love with their products, so I'm curious about the attraction.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:00 pm 
Team Axis

Can only speak for my 2014 A22. We do about 75% surf, 20% wakeboard, and 5% slalom ski.

no ballast and it is a sweet skiboat. Ballast mostly full and the wake is amazing for the sons in law who wake board. Drop the wedge and the surf wake is awesome. bought it new in 2014. Have annual service (fluids, impeller, etc.). No problems at all at 381 hours. Oh wait, I did replace a surfgate actuator.

Fresh water, stored indoors, used year round in Arizona - no winterizing. Just fuel, launch, and drive. I can't find anything to complain about. I have no idea how the warranty is because it was never used.

I prefer my Axis to Malibu because it is less computer reliant. I like toggle switches for pumps and such. To me the Axis is more of a no-nonsense tow boat.

I assume the newer Axis are also nice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:12 pm 

Thanks! And yes, the new Axis products are extremely nice. You can't even find a decent tow boat at MSRP with the market right now. Supplies are definitely limited and dealers are raking in cash.

Interestingly, and maybe this is due to quality and reputation- but possibly also a corporate sales model, Axis seem to be riding further above standard cost by a higher amount than either the Moomba or the ATX.