It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: LED Night Lighting Project
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:17 am 

This is really cool. Is there a list of colors not allowed to be used? I assume I cant use red or green. Was curious about orange, since my boat is orange and black. I've seen some pontoons with blue light strips and I think purple.

Edit: I found some info about what's considered legal if anyone cares. It's very vague and probably up to the discretion of the CO on your lake.

Quote:
1. Masthead Light: a white light placed over the fore and aft centerline of the vessel

2. Side Lights: a green light on the starboard side and a red light on the port side

3. Stern Light: a white light placed as nearly as practicable at the stern

Rule 20(b) The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights which cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out.

Also the USCG issued this letter in 2015. For instance, blue underwater LED lights can appear to be flashing if there is any wave action, giving the appearance of a flashing blue light only authorized to be used by law enforcement vessels per 33 CFR 88.05.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO%20Documents/5p/CG-5PC/INV/Alerts/1015.pdf