It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: RV Coolant through Flush Kit?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:06 am 

Hey Guys,

Has anyone winterized their boat through the transom flush kit using the below device? My boat also has a Sea Strainer if that matters.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Winterizer ... +kit&psc=1

I was planning on elevating the tank to use gravity to flow the coolant down to the flush kit. Also will bring up to operating temp so the thermostat opens obviously.

Has anyone done it this method rather than using a Fake a Lake on the water pick up? I just don't see a point doing that when I have a flush kit, but want to make sure it goes through the entire system.

Post subject: Re: RV Coolant through Flush Kit?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:17 am 
Team Axis

I have used that kit and a Perko Flush connection for the past 5 years. It is easy to connect water and coolant to the engine. After bringing the engine up to temperature, you switch over to the coolant and winterize the engine. I find it easier than the fake a lake connection that is always leaking on my Axis A24

Jim

Boat Name: Who's Next

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:15 pm 

JimFuller wrote:
I have used that kit and a Perko Flush connection for the past 5 years. It is easy to connect water and coolant to the engine. After bringing the engine up to temperature, you switch over to the coolant and winterize the engine. I find it easier than the fake a lake connection that is always leaking on my Axis A24

Jim

Where do you have your Perko connected to? I'm guessing I won't need that since I have the factory Flush Kit on my transom. What I don't know is if the factory Flush Kit goes through the engine and transmission or just the engine. That's my main concern.

Side note - I see you're in Atlanta. What lake. I have my boat at Lazy Days.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:33 pm 
Team Axis

I use one of those. Like you said, use gravity once the engine is up to full temp. One thing though - and it may not apply to you since your transom flush was a factory option - my perko requires a small plastic insert to depress the spring enough to allow a non-pressurized source get to the engine. In my case, if I do not insert the piece, I can get my engine up to temp with hose pressure. Then when I change the valve on the tank you linked nothing happens. No amount of pressure via elevation was enough to get the antifreeze to flow beyond the spring. Took me a minute to realize this.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:56 pm 

onwi wrote:
I use one of those. Like you said, use gravity once the engine is up to full temp. One thing though - and it may not apply to you since your transom flush was a factory option - my perko requires a small plastic insert to depress the spring enough to allow a non-pressurized source get to the engine. In my case, if I do not insert the piece, I can get my engine up to temp with hose pressure. Then when I change the valve on the tank you linked nothing happens. No amount of pressure via elevation was enough to get the antifreeze to flow beyond the spring. Took me a minute to realize this.

Thanks! Yeah I don't think this will be an issue for me. I'll try to use water in the tank instead of RV coolant first to test if it gets through the transom flush kit.

Update - I did talk to a tech and the transom flush kit that came factory does in fact go through the entire engine and v-drive so the perko flush kit wouldn't be needed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:25 am 
Team Axis

You might want to engage warm up lever to drive more AF to heater core

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:06 pm 
Team Axis

granddaddy55 wrote:

What does this mean?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:47 am 
Team Axis

Hello Team Axis -- you want to warm up your engine to the normal running temperature (my boat is 161 degrees) before running the Anti-Freeze through the engine, transmission and the boat heater (if you have a heater). You want the thermostat on the engine to engage to let the anti-freeze flow everywhere. I always run the boat heater on high to make sure the anti-freeze also runs through the heater coil as this coil is usually the first thing to break

Boat Name: Who's Next

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:33 pm 
Team Axis

onwi wrote:
granddaddy55 wrote:

What does this mean?

What happens when your at idle ? Very little flow to heater unless you have a Y joint in your water system which is reason it doesn’t stAy hot. Higher idle using your warm up lever button and the Coolant will go there as well just like when you run the boat in gear at higger rpm than idle
The fan on high doesn’t drive coolant to heater , rpm of motor does

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:16 am 
Team Axis

granddaddy55 wrote:
onwi wrote:
granddaddy55 wrote:

What does this mean?

What happens when your at idle ? Very little flow to heater unless you have a Y joint in your water system which is reason it doesn’t stAy hot. Higher idle using your warm up lever button and the Coolant will go there as well just like when you run the boat in gear at higger rpm than idle
The fan on high doesn’t drive coolant to heater , rpm of motor does

Ah I see. Up the RPMs. I was just confused with the "warm up lever button". Thanks.