It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 2018 T23 Warranty Nightmare
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:43 pm 

So I have been hesitant to write this up, trying to give PCM and my dealer time to get this figured out. 2016 Axis T23 with 49 hours
I had a guy that was looking at buying it take it out and put about 200 yards on it before the V-drive locked up on him, I had it out one other time this year for about 3 hours and everything had been normal. Before I had taken it out I checked the v-drive and motor oil and both looked fine.
The boat was driven to the dealer (3 hour drive) on July 5th the diagnosis that I got from them on July 6th was that it wasn’t winterized correctly and it was freeze damage and since they didn’t winterize It (I had a local dealer do it) and it was not going to be warrantied. I called BS on the freeze cracks and Monday morning made the drive again and requested to see the V-drive and the cracks. Of course, the service manager said that they hadn’t pulled it out yet and that was just the initial diagnosis since there was water in the V-drive oil.
At that point I was told they only way they would order parts was for me to pay for 40% of the total parts bill, so I shelled out $2,000 so that they would order the parts and get it fixed. The parts were rush shipped and arrived on Thursday (same day the boat was to be done) The service manager finally called Friday morning, apparently the repair was taking longer than expected. the work was completed on Friday afternoon but when they lake tested it, the transmission was locked up. The service writer called me from an event the dealership was sponsoring not prepared to talk just to tell me the boat wouldn’t be done. No other information provided repair cost / ETA nothing.
I called Monday morning 6/16 and Tuesday and Wednesday trying to get an answer to what the plan was to get our boat back on the water. Finally, on Thursday I got a call from their service writer, their shop manager had gotten a chance to look at the v-drive, what was found was their no bad seals, no bad gaskets, and no freeze cracks. The only problem was the input shaft bearing was seized. AND they had pressure tested the v-drive and it met PCMs specs. I was happy, thought that was all good news……….. then she informs me that they are still not going to pursue warranty on it as there was water in the oil and that if they had performed the winterization then they would have caught it.
That lead to a 20 min argument of me talking her in circles about how the water could have gotten into the v-drive, in her opinion the only way for it to get in there was for the boat to be swamped. That went back and forth with me finally telling her that if she could find one other piece of evidence that showed the boat had been swamped then I would drop it. The most frustrating conversation I have had in a long time, I did find out that a new tranny would cost $2500 to install, and I commented, well the boat is useless without it so you should order one….. not actually getting an answer if she would or wouldn’t order it.
Friday after 3 attempts I get in touch with the Service manager that pulled the v-drive apart, his tune was a little different in that he was willing to pursue warranty if we wanted him to but it would be up to PCM to determine if it was covered or not. He had a better understanding of mechanics that their service writer did and at least the conversation wasn’t completely frustrating, but if we wanted the transmission ordered we would need to pay for half of it, even though I still feel like this is warranty. They are worried that if they repair it we would take the boat and not pay, even though they have a $80,000 boat as collateral against the repair they won’t order parts. Of course, I make a request to him as well that the boat is worthless without it. That was Friday July 20th
Today July 24, 2018 and no update as to whether its warranty or not or if they have even ordered the transmission to repair the boat. 20 days a boat that I thought was sold has been sitting at the dealership in the middle of summer. Here in the Idaho we get 4 months’ worth of boating weather and it will be 30 days, I am positive before this is fixed. My wife got a call yesterday from someone at PCM asking how the experience with the dealership and warranty was, and she said it’s a sh!t show and to call her husband. She was going to call me but I have received no called yesterday or today. I made a phone call today to PCM and talked with Mark, who was going to get more information and call me back.

SURPRISE haven’t heard back from Mark or the dealer today.
Anyone else had such a wonderful experience or is it just me, seems if I buy a $90,000 boat with a 5 year warranty and a bearing goes bad taking out the V-drive and Transmission that it should be covered under warranty without the consumer having to continually argue with the dealer it was purchased from about it being covered under warranty. I’ve paid $2,000 to get the repair started, without that they wouldn’t even tear into it. OK OK rant over whats your opinion.
And just for kicks it appears maybe there is a design flaw with the V-drive letting water in seems to be more than 1 with the same issue.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php? ... n-v-drive/

Post subject: Re: 2018 T23 Warranty Nightmare
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:38 pm 
Boater

Axis has a lot of problems with customer service, I have not had to go through anything like that but my 2017 axis if a web of small issues that they can’t seem to fix. Good luck hope it gets resolved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:52 pm 
Team Axis

Your dealer is trash...pcm warrantied my vdrive outside of warranty in 2 days turn around and shipped a new one arriving to the dealer within a week of the claim being opened. I did pay labor but no parts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post subject: 2018 T23 Warranty Nightmare
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:53 am 

Got a axisa22 2013. Lucky for me no warranty left on the boat ( but always small problems . I dont feel like it‘ s a 60k toy! And I feel the same with the dealer. They won‘t work for less than 2500$ So I do couple of things myself...

So Now I take it out of the water and drive for a 1:30 hours to a dealer that Works only with surf boat... happy for now with connor at SG marine in Mirabel up in Quebec Canada. Thanks to you for sharing the info cause I ´m thinking of changing my boat in the next years coming....

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:40 pm 
Boater

Haven’t had an issue with getting them to warranty any of their mistakes but the customer service has been horrible with axis. The time to get the warranty really comes down to the dealer being pushy with them and then you calling axis everyday and bugging them until it’s handled. They don’t care that they built a 80k boat with issues and that your not enjoying it for the small window you Have to use it because of their issues or bad assembly, they expect you to wait.

Really makes me wonder if they treat their Malibu customers the same as I’ve always heard of a getting a demo etc etc when theirs an issue with your new boat and making it right.

The 5 year warranty is going to put them out of business if they keep building them the way to do and sending them out with issue after issues. A single misrouted hose/missing hose with time repair and labor can cost them several 1000.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:17 am 
Team Axis

Judders wrote:

The 5 year warranty is going to put them out of business if they keep building them the way to do and sending them out with issue after issues. A single misrouted hose/missing hose with time repair and labor can cost them several 1000.

If that was going to be the case this board would be filled with nothing but complaints. To take it even further this is about PCM, not the boat. You even dug up a thread that is 6 months old to do so.

You are upset, everyone gets it.

Jumping of every thread you can find and spreading your situation is doing a disservice to the persons thread. They are posting about their issue/seeking help. Not yours.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:35 am 

I hate to say it, but your dealer sucks.

I had an issue with my 2015 last year and I'm 100% sure that because of my dealer, it was taken care of quickly and without any headaches or hesitation.