It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Depth finder
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:55 pm 

Any one out there have some pics of their aftermarket depth finder. Apparently my new 16 t-22 didn't come with one and I used the one on my old boat all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Depth finder
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:53 am 
Team Axis

I have to ask...does your dealer order boats without a depth gauge? That's seems kind of foolish.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:11 pm 
Team Axis

It's foolish; mine came like that, too. They are all wired for the depth gauge but if you want dealer to install it you pay retail price for the depth finder ($500?) and then shop rate for a couple of hours for them to drill a hole, glue in the piece, and then hook it up. They take profit from the sale of the parts plus the labor. I think it's because they know everyone will want this option and they can make more money by doing it after as opposed to ordering it with the boat. Obviously this applies to "in-stock" boats; if you order your boat you should definitely add that option.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:41 pm 
Team Axis

saberworks wrote:
It's foolish; mine came like that, too. They are all wired for the depth gauge but if you want dealer to install it you pay retail price for the depth finder ($500?) and then shop rate for a couple of hours for them to drill a hole, glue in the piece, and then hook it up. They take profit from the sale of the parts plus the labor. I think it's because they know everyone will want this option and they can make more money by doing it after as opposed to ordering it with the boat. Obviously this applies to "in-stock" boats; if you order your boat you should definitely add that option.

My dealer sells approx. 85 Malibus/Axis boats a year new and they all come with depth gauge. I do understand it is an option but c'mon that is just outright dumb and shady for a dealer to NOT order boats with an option that is clearly for safety's sake.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:07 am 

I agree totally but I am not going to play in to their profit gain BS so I am curious where they are putting them and I will do it my self.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:13 am 
Team Axis

Topshelfbv wrote:
I agree totally but I am not going to play in to their profit gain BS so I am curious where they are putting them and I will do it my self.

Sounds like more of a hassle than a profit gain. You may be the first case of a Axis boat without a depth guage I have heard of. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:58 am 
Team Axis

My 2015 A22 did not have a depth finder either. I ordered one from Bakes. As far as I can tell there are 2 locations that the factory has put the depth finder over the years. One is up front in the round access hatch next to the ballast pumps (this is where the plug for mine is). The other location is under the rear hatch to the right of the Vdrive. My old boat had the depth finder in this location. Also, the schematic that Bakes sent me shows this location as the correct one. I will probably put mine here as its closer to the under water gear and there is more room for installation. PM me your email and i can send you the Schematic if you like. when i was at the boat show this year the 2017 A22 had the depth finder located under the round access hatch up front. The 2017 VLX they had, had the depth finder in the rear next to the Vdrive. I think either location would work but hats just my 2 cents. The part number on the Depth finder in the 2017 at the boat show was "Airmar Smart Depth/Temp 20-732-01 0 degree tilt". The one bakes sent me is a different part number but looks exactly the same.

Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:57 am 
Team Axis

dezul wrote:
Topshelfbv wrote:

Sounds like more of a hassle than a profit gain. You may be the first case of a Axis boat without a depth guage I have heard of. Good luck.

I think I've seen 2-3 posts in the past years about installing one so I guess there are dealers that order boats without. In my opinion that's like ordering a boat without a bilge pump.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:10 pm 
Team Axis

Put me down for a dealer ordered boat that didn't have one.. But easy and cheap to add so noo biggie.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:04 am 
Team Axis

My 2014 A22 came without depth finder as well. I bought the part and let my local dealer in Germany install it next to the V-Drive. No big deal. Just look in your boat where your connector is and install it there and plug it in - that's it.