It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: T23 Oil issue
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:54 pm 
Team Axis

I've never owned a small block V8 anything that didn't burn oil when under stress or continuous long range usage, higher consumption at faster speeds in a car or faster speeds pulling a boat with a car. My indmar burns and it was leaking, have to see if fixed on that after this weekend . With those oil consumption levels I wouldn't worry about 50 hour oil changes.
On a different note buddies 2013 G has 409 PCM, NOT ONE DROP if oil burned, 1287 hours , his quote to my stories of oil usage in my indmar, "PCM baby, my second nauti and same story both boats. My usage with very small leak, 90 hours, added 5 or under quarts. That's an oil change. I kept it topped off all season cause I've known since month one 2014when I finally checked it and was down 1qt. Dealer claimed I never high speed ran my boat after 2nd hundred hour service and it persisted. So I tried that but I guess rings had already seated. If you top off constantly you cannot need to change the oil frequently

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:13 pm 
Team Axis

granddaddy55 wrote:
ThatGuy wrote:
Wow. This is surprising and scary. I put 100 hours on my boat and it never used any oil and I checked it nearly every outing.

If you have a 350, you are very rare, I burn and leak from s valve covet

I'm not sure I'm fixed yet on my indmar but my valve cover was leaking from rear outside corner of motor nearest bow on starboard, corner of gasket was laying in oil bath of valve area not in its groove, mechanic put wet gasket back in groove replaced cover, now I hope all I find is seepage from
Gasket snd oil from repair, I changed oil too so if clean oil ever shows up I know it's still leaking and it's the valve cover or head surface or both. Still in warranty and need to bring to conclusion before 4/4/17 end of 3 year period
I am no llonger with my dealer cause he failed to detect leak snd just blamed me since 1st hundred hour service about lugging the motor as my only main usage by surfing so much. I also got tired of them trashing my boat every time they had it, they would even damage trailer carpet bunks by shallow dipping and recovering in their test lake where they would engine drag the boAt off trailer and the do same back up as trailer left in same spot. I made them repair damage on my last visit that caused our separation. I always deep dunk launch said recover and I get less carpet damage by far
Something else I learned, they paint these motors after assembly to valve cover and intake. When the tools go on, paint cracks off cover bolts in perfect circles around flat round head part. Same for edge if valve cover against head you can see silver aluminum on head in groove where cover meets.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:53 pm 

I have been informed by the dealer that they are now recommending a straight 50 oil. They are putting in a Pennzoil HD 50 in my engine. I was searching for this online and cannot find anywhere I can order this stuff from. I realize I can buy some from the dealer to keep on hand however they are not very convenient to get to. I was going through oil so fast last year it was much more convenient to order online.

Questions….
Anyone else getting a straight 50w oil?
Anyone know where to buy Pennzoil HD50 from?
Anyone else concerned that their engine will be toast after the warranty expires?

Dealer informed me they used straight 40W when I picked it up. They told me the wrong info on the phone. :shock:

Last edited by BCornell on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:59 pm 

Picked up my boat last week and dealer corrected their previous communication. They are using a Pennzoil straight 40W HD oil. I will always make sure I take my time warming up the engine when I first set out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:50 am 
Team Axis

BCornell wrote:
I have been informed by the dealer that they are now recommending a straight 50 oil. They are putting in a Pennzoil HD 50 in my engine. I was searching for this online and cannot find anywhere I can order this stuff from. I realize I can buy some from the dealer to keep on hand however they are not very convenient to get to. I was going through oil so fast last year it was much more convenient to order online.

Questions….
Anyone else getting a straight 50w oil?
Anyone know where to buy Pennzoil HD50 from?
Anyone else concerned that their engine will be toast after the warranty expires?

Dealer informed me they used straight 40W when I picked it up. They told me the wrong info on the phone. :shock:

Even the pennzoil 15w-40 marine heavy duty on the oil filler cap is a discontinued at west marine with some very limited stockthat could be delivered free. West was the only source in the south so our dealer negotiated with indmar to use 25w-50 mercruiser oil and filter they have in bulk and is common. so if dealer can't sell to you in bulk their giving you a no win situation,
If you are 3 qts to the 50 hour or less, stick with the oil you can get and that they warrant
For all other problems, recheck yourself for any small leaks like I had and fix it and accept your usage or your going to drive yourself nuts. Top off each week ,2,or month and oil will
stay fresher, I top off weekly if the usage was heavy each weekend

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:30 pm 

I received a letter in the mail today from Pleasurecraft Engine Group. It stated that oil may be expelled out of the vent on top of the VDrive unit. They indicated that recipients of their letter need to take their boat dealer to have an inspection performed and possibly a vent kit installed.

The letter also indicated there was an attached service advisory however it was not attached. Did anyone get a similar letter and if so did they get the service advisory? If anyone has the service advisory it would be great if they could scan it an uploaded it. Attached is the letter I received.

My dealer put straight 40W after my winterization. I wonder if this fix means I should go back to 15W-40.

Attachments:
Letter.tif
Letter.tif [ 472.58 KiB | Viewed 26490 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:41 pm 
Team Axis

Castrol HD40 recommendation has been around for over 4 years.

http://www.pleasurecraft.com/ServiceUpd ... 20Memo.pdf

vdrive and engine oil are separate and never mix. You aren't expelling engine oil from the vdrive.

My PCM EX343 (i.e. the SBC 5.7L "350") would burn oil after about 30 hours. I just started increasing my oil change intervals to 30 hours as suggested in the service bulletin.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:34 pm 

Thanks - I recall finding the HD40 somewhere on this forum previously.

On the Crusader website listed for Axis it has15W-40. This is what my dealer previously recommended and was putting in until they switched to the HD40 after I complained about the low oil issues.
http://www.crusaderengines.com/challeng ... is/#owners

My previous boat (not an Axis) I could easily put 100 hours on in a season and not have an oil issue. First season with my 2015 Axis T23 I was topping off every other weekend. I am an I.T. guy and not a gear head but burning oil or topping off that regularly seems wrong.

I received another letter from Pleasure Craft today with the service advisory concerning the VDrive and the vent kit. I am looking forward to discussing it with my boat dealer at the show in 2 weeks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:00 am 
Team Axis

Just had to add 3/4 qt 10hrs after 50hr service [ASTONISHED FACE]

2016 AXIS A20....SOLD
2018 AXIS T22....CURRENT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:12 pm 

I am anxious to hear if anyone had the service advisory work performed on the letter I attached to this post. If so, let us know how it went and if it solved the problem. I unfortunately missed this years local boat show and chance to talk to my dealer in person. :x

I plan on calling them within the next week or so to get this scheduled.

Attachments:
Service Advisory.tif
Service Advisory.tif [ 361.14 KiB | Viewed 26232 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next