It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: T23 Oil issue
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:23 am 
Boater

So I purchased a brand new 2016 T23 at the beginning to the season. At what Ill call the half way point in the season I had an alarm go off regarding oil pressure. We stopped the boat and found that the oil level was barely reading on the dip stick. We idled into the boat dock and loaded up, then proceeded to purchase a gallon of the recommended oil and fill back to the proper point on the dipstick. I spoke with my dealer and he said to continue to use the boat for the remainder of the season and just be sure to watch the levels and add if needed and then they would check it out once the season was over, which I did. From the first time to the last time of adding we ended up putting 2 GALLONS of oil in the boat. Once the season was over I took the boat to the dealership for a few other warranty repairs and to have the engine problem fixed. After aprox a month I called the dealership and was told that Malibu/Axis or the engine company told them to have me use straight 50 weight oil, and nothing was wrong. If something happens next year during the boating season then they would take additional steps. I'm sorry but I personally feel this is complete bullshit! I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue or was told a similar response. The explanation was that because of how the engine sets in the boat backwards and then the boat sets at an angle while surfing, the oil shifts to one side in the oil pan and then somehow the oil goes right past the rings and out the exhaust??? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: T23 Oil issue
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:52 am 
Team Axis

Yes mine does the same. I was told by Malibu and PCM is was normal for the boat to use oil when loaded heavy. I run over 4K in ballast consistently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:15 am 
Team Axis

Yes I have a 2016 T23 as well and was told this exact thing by my dealer too regarding the oil pan design. I've been burning oil too and had my alarm go off last trip out. I was told there may be a possible redesign and recall of the oil pan, but they told me that first they wanted to run straight 40 weight (not 50 oddly) and log the hours for the oil change and when you have to add oil. I assume PCM is gonna take this data from multiple customers and do something with it?

I can imagine the costs for designing a new oil pan, and then sending it to all the dealers and having to pull the engine out and replace them is stupid high. I feel like this is a stall tactic and I'd be hesitant to run straight 50 weight in an area up north if you go much past this part of the year. I'm in the south (NC) so not worried. I have a call with my dealer this afternoon and hope to gather some more info regarding that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:15 pm 
Boater

Awesome, thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Please keep me updated on what you find out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:28 pm 
Team Axis

My boat burned 2 qts in 25 hrs and my dealership uses 20-50 over here in AZ.

2016 AXIS A20....SOLD
2018 AXIS T22....CURRENT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:34 pm 
Team Axis

Wow. This is surprising and scary. I put 100 hours on my boat and it never used any oil and I checked it nearly every outing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:25 pm 
Team Axis

ThatGuy wrote:
Wow. This is surprising and scary. I put 100 hours on my boat and it never used any oil and I checked it nearly every outing.

And I don't even surf [emoji53]

2016 AXIS A20....SOLD
2018 AXIS T22....CURRENT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:28 am 

I ha the same issue with my 2016 23 this summer. Alarm went off and ended up putting a gallon of oil in it. Glad to hear that this a know issue and not just me not paying attention to my oil levels. Heading out today for a surf session. I will make sure and check the levels first.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:18 am 
Team Axis

Same issue here on a 2015 A22. I keep a few quarts in the boat and a few gallons at the dock. I know its not right but I check before going out each weekend and fill accordingly. Boat runs strong so I don't worry about it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:42 am 

I had the exact same issue with my 2015 A22. And I was given the exact same feedback. And I was told to use straight 40 as well.
I actually started a thread on here about, and I posted on someone else's thread about it. So it is happening to a lot of us! And I feel that they need to do something about it. It just doesn't seem normal!
They (PCM) actually sent me a bulletin explaining what's happen. My biggest problem with the bulletin was that it was from 2012!
We all of have 2015’s and 2016’s. Why the hell don't they update their manuals to let us KNOW this? So we don't have that freakout "surprise....your out of oil" moment on the lake.
The manual says we should be changing oil every 50 hours or once a season. There is a big difference between needing to change the oil, and CONSUMING oil!
Now they are telling us, "well, if you surf a lot in your boat, you need to change (or add) oil every 30 to 40 hours". Isn't that what our boats are made for? That’s like basing everything in a Ferrari manual on driving 55 mph. C’MON!
I think we need to get a head count of everyone that is having this issue. There are at least 5 of us on this site, and 2 more that I know of from my dealer. So private message me if you are having this issue. I want to put something together and send it to my dealer and PCM.
I think they need to have some type of recall!
I really like my boat, and I know we do not have the $100,000-plus boats. But our boats are not cheap! And for them to just brush this off and say "its normal" is not sitting well with me.