It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: First day issues
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:59 pm 
Boater

So I had my 09 A22 out for the first time this year and wanted to get a little feedback. It was my first overnight trip, and only my second trip out with this boat - I bought it end of season last year.

1. After only a couple hours out, I came in and parked. I turned the bilge on and it ran for 6 or 7 minutes just steady dumping water. I went out again, 30 minute total ride at dusk to watch the sunset, came back and parked. Left the boat overnight, turned bilge on next morning, same thing - 6 or 7 minutes of water. The boat sat in the water for a couple of hours and I checked again, no water in bilge. Ran for an hour, had 2-3 minutes worth. Is this normal or do I have a leak? PS. Not filling any bags or ballast.

2. There is only one plug, correct? Hopefully not a stupid question. :D

3. The motor seems to have a fairly loud ticking when I throttle wide open. it seems that the throttle at 3/4 to full isn't much different either. My father was in the boat today and said - it sounds just like my car (2009 SRT8 Challenger) did right before the motor went out - slung a rod. I'm not sure if it is normal or if I need to have it looked at. Any thoughts? I'm a bit nervous based on my Pop's comment. FYI I am running a OJ 912 - 14.75 x 15.75 if it matters.

I wish I knew another Axis owner nearby that I could bounce all these questions off of. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Post subject: Re: First day issues
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:29 pm 
Team Axis

2009 is same hull as the 2011 I had and mine had 2 drain plugs (center and transom). Could be a loose or cracked hose or loose clamp only leaking when it's pressured with the engine running since you said there was no water after a night of letting it float. Did you fill the ballast when you rode? Could be water from ballast system. Shouldn't be any ticking sounds from the engine at all

Last edited by AJWest on Mon May 01, 2017 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:21 pm 
Team Axis

09 thru 2012 (I think) has a traditional shaft seal that is designed to drip water to cool the prop shaft. If it hasn't been adjusted or repacked, that could be the issue as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:56 pm 
Team Axis

For the ticking, I had it on my LS3. I changed my plugs and it went away. It can also be from gas sitting in the tank for months at a time. Change you plugs and run a few tanks of premium and you'll be fine!.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:25 am 
Boater

Thanks for the tips. Didn't realize the other plug near/under the V-Drive - will check that.

The shaft seal has not had any attention since I have owned it but I will get it check as well.

Going to order some plugs and get them in ASAP.

Thanks again for the help and feedback.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:40 pm 
Boater

So there are 2 plugs... Found the second on the driver side near the transmission. It was in so not leaking there. I don't know why I am getting all the water in the boat - my next thought is shaft seal. Will check on the water next time. The more I think and read about the ticking/knocking, the more I believe it to be a spark related. Plugs are ordered and will start there. Updates to follow.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:20 pm 
Boater

Could be loose plugs or hose clamps from when it got winterized, check all fresh water drain plugs and hose clamps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:34 pm 
Boater

Agreed. Will do.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:07 am 
Team Axis

Do you have a fake a lake? If so start it on the trailer and see if you can find the source. If running it on water finds nothing it's probably the shaft seal

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:12 pm 
Team Axis

Ticking at high throttle is often caused by a small exhaust leak where the manifold bolts to the engine heads. Use a mechanic's stethoscope to verify it is not a mechanical sound (or if it is to isolate its approximate location).

The water sure sounds like an engine cooling hose leak.

Wayne