It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Vibration at High Speed - 2016 Axis A22
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:17 pm 

Love my new Axis A22. Just took it out this weekend for the first time however and I may be overly sensitive but the boat vibrates at high speeds. When barefoot in the boat I can feel the vibrations on the floor and when I put my hand on the side of the boat. The steering wheel however does not vibrate. I had a Tige before this boat and did not have similar vibration so perhaps I'm just used to the old boat. Or there is something off of course on my boat that needs to be fixed to eliminate the vibrations.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!!

Post subject: Re: Vibration at High Speed - 2016 Axis A22
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:52 pm 
Team Axis

Doesn't seem right to me. Every boat I ever had was smooth and any vibrations were something to be worried about. Messed up prop, bent shaft, misalignment somewhere, etc. Have you hit anything? Beached it? Did you inspect the prop? If you have a lot of vegetation wrapped around it could cause that, too. Or hitting a ski rope or whatever.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:54 pm 
Team Axis

Id be looking to see if your hull is cracked or if the stringers have separated from the hull.

2012 Axis A20

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:22 am 
Team Axis

It's probably the prop or shaft. I doubt it's stringer detach,net as it doesn't cause vibration as much as noise. If it's a vibration that occurs consistently at about the same speed, it's likely a prop or shaft imperfection. If it changes sound based on the chop in the water, then it could be hull related.
My stringer problem made a sound like a snare drum when I ran fast in choppy water. Wasn't really vibration. Try to nail down exact speed when it starts vibrating and tell dealership. I know of a couple new malibu/axis that needed shafts replaced when new.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:40 am 
Site Admin

Most of the vibrations I have seen are prop or shaft related.

Do you have the same vibration under heavy load when the boat is full of ballast?

either way I would have the dealer look into that. Winter is a great time to get the kinks worked out before next season starts.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:29 am 
Team Axis

Could be a number of things but I had a similar problem when I first took delivery of mine. Everything was good until I hit about 30-35 mph and started to vibrate. took boat out and inspected prop. Found a piece of the tie down for the shipping cover wrapped in prop. I can't remember if it was tied around the shaft and they forgot to take it off or if it was picked up by the prop when the boat came off the trailer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:31 pm 
Team Axis

I bent a prop slightly after running it into the sandbar. The vibrations got REALLY bad at about 30 mph, not subtle at all, but I could still get it on plane.

Interestingly, after they fixed it I get a vibrating (and noise making) steering wheel as I slowly accelerate, then it goes away as I accelerate to even moderate speeds. Not sure what that's all about. Cavitation? I had that problem as well with my other prop (never been damaged) but less significantly. I'd love someone to tell me what is causing that, and hope it isn't that I bent the shaft when I bent the prop.