It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Residual water in ballast bags
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:22 pm 

So is it normal to have a bit of water left in the pnp ballast bags after emptying? I run the pumps until nothing comes out the side bilge plumbing but it's seems there is still residual water left in the bags (two rear and arrow bow). Am I suppose to disconnect the fittings and remove the bags from boat to manually drain, or is that overkill? Perhaps one just does that for winterizing?

Just curious whatever ones else does.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Residual water in ballast bags
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:21 am 
Team Axis

How much? I have a couple gallons usually. I dont bother completely draining until winterizing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:43 am 
Team Axis

Vlinder wrote:
How much? I have a couple gallons usually. I dont bother completely draining until winterizing.

Same here.

2012 Axis A22

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:51 am 
Team Axis

I only have about a half gallon or less of water left in my sacks after a day on the water when I get to my storage. As I pull up the ramp, if no one is waiting I'll stop my boat at the top of the ramp and hit the drain buttons again and let the slope of the ramp help get the last couple gallons out. The only time you'll need to be totally empty and dry is winterizing, or if your lake has an invasive species checkpoint, or lastly if you are going across state lines and there's a watercraft checkpoint for invasive species.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:24 pm 

Thanks for the responses yall. My rear bags look to have less than a gallon each but my bow arrow bag seems to have a significant amount more. I tried rolling the bag up towards the plumbing connections but that didn't help much. This is my first boat with ballast- are the drain hoses/pumps located on the bottom of the bags and the filling hoses/pumps on top?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:44 pm 
Team Axis

You can plug in the lines how ever you want but it only makes sense to have the drain at the lowest point.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:24 pm 
Team Axis

What brand of bag? My sumo arrow has a port at the very end of the narrow section. Drains completely. Make sure u dont have a big loop in the drain line. I had to cut off about 4 ft from one of the front lines. Dont remember which one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:59 am 

They are fly high. I believe the lines were all straight - any chance it could be looped where it disapperars under the carpet?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:43 am 
Team Axis

Just stick your head into the battery compartment and look to the right, should be able to see the line. If there's extra length to the line it should be in that little void.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:32 pm 
Team Axis

as1430 wrote:
Thanks for the responses yall. My rear bags look to have less than a gallon each but my bow arrow bag seems to have a significant amount more. I tried rolling the bag up towards the plumbing connections but that didn't help much. This is my first boat with ballast- are the drain hoses/pumps located on the bottom of the bags and the filling hoses/pumps on top?

Let me look for the thread, it was a few years ago, but I modified my front sack drain hose... it took a few minutes and only costs a few bucks. You get a 180 degree rubber coated pipe/hose strap/mount bracket. You use this to hold your drain hose (coming out of the rear part of the bag) against the floor, this will allow most of the water to drain out. with the pnp option from the factory, the hoses are all a bit longer than necessary. This causes the rear hose to want to pop up a few inches between the bag and the hole in the floor where the drain hose passes through to the drain pump. If you can trim this hose to be more of an exact length, then use the hose/pip strap to hold it against the floor, you will get most all your water out, especially if the bow of your boat is up a little bit (like on the boat ramp or when cruising at speed back to the dock/ramp).

I will try to find it now...