It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Winterizing Your Axis
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:44 pm 
Team Axis

Attachment:
uploadfromtaptalk1407454974049.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1407454974049.jpg [ 58.54 KiB | Viewed 60342 times ]
Attachment:
uploadfromtaptalk1407454962411.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1407454962411.jpg [ 62.61 KiB | Viewed 60342 times ]

These are the 2 hoses I think are for the heater. I cracked the lower which I think is the return and got coolant out. I think I'm good to go. What do you guys say?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:10 pm 
Team Axis

Flushing with antifreeze is a good idea but if you're already winterizing this early in the season that means you must live in a fairly cold region? I'd still feel better knowing that there was no fluid that could potentially freeze and crack a block than have an unknown mixture of water and antifreeze, just because it's in there still doesn't mean you have the correct protection, I can't really compare because I no longer winterize my boat, it stays in a climate controlled garage year round, all I do now is change the oil every 40 hours.......

Are you sure there is good protection in there?.......

Although it doesn't get below 30 here but a few days a year, a friend of mine just got a 6" crack in his block from not winterizing last year....... Big bummer......now to fix it lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:09 am 
Team Axis

I actually live in TN, but my job takes me away from home next week until the end of October. So my boating season is over and would rather winterize now just to be safe. I actually saved some of the coolant that I drained and was planning to buy one of those cheap coolant testers today or bring some to the auto parts store to test it.
Walter...what do you think about the hoses in the pic's? Heater?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:13 am 
Team Axis

I think I'm going to get one of these next time and just suck from the buckets under the exhaust and back into my transom flush. This should deliver enough pressure to push the check valve open.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200352045

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:24 pm 
Team Axis

Ya those two hoses go to the heater core up under the dash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:06 pm 
Team Axis

Thanks Walter!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:55 pm 
Team Axis

What I really want to do to mine next is put on a heat exchanger so it can have antifreeze in the block and heater all the time and the exhaust is the only thing on lake water.
Like this one

http://www.go2marine.com/product/98747F ... f-products

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:56 am 
Team Axis

That would sure be nice. I was on the fence about getting the closed cooled system from the factory on my T22. I really wanted it but $4000 more was kind of steep. The only thing I regret not getting is the hydraulic steering. It seems to me there is a tremendous amount of stress being placed on the steering cable when wake surfing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:13 pm 
Team Axis

I attempted the winterization process on my 2012 a22 last weekend. I followed the steps in this post but some things were unclear to me. So if someone with this model boat or newer will chime in it will be much appreciated.

1. Removed 2 plugs from block that had knock sensors on them. (significant water drained)
2. Unscrewed garden hose connector. (significant water drained)
3. Removed 2 brass plugs from v-drive. (very little water drained)
4. Pulled hose from trans cooler(just above alternator) that appeared to run to water pump(impeller). Removed both ends and hardly any water drained.
5. Removed spark plugs one at a time and sprayed a small shot of fogging oil. I didn't turn motor over at all. Is this adequate?
6. Removed battery cables from both batteries.

Are there any additional hoses to drain? I'm not sure about the J hose. I didn't remove any that I would say fit the description. The boat has not been ran in a month and stabilizer was added the last time I put gas in it. Sorry for all the questions I just don't want to screw this up. Thanks for any and all replies.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:32 am 
Team Axis

I think you're ok, the J hose goes from the thermostat housing to the engine water pump, it really shouldn't have but a few ounces of water in it if you already drained the block, if you haven't already you should pull the hoses from the impeller housing and drain them, or remove the impeller entirely.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next