It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: A22 engine option quesions
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:38 pm 

Hello all,

I'm comparing some boats for next year and had a question regarding the 2012 A22 engine options.

Will the A22 with the 335hp engine plane out with 3k pounds of ballast with the 1235 prop and the wedge down? My elevation will typically be 900ft-1000ft. We will probably only be running 1k-2k lbs max most of the time, but if we have some better riders on the boat it would be fun to fill up the plug-n-play ballast all the way sometime.

I heard that they got rid of the 400hp Raptor engine for 2012 and so I believe that the 450hp LS3 is the only other option. If the price is reasonable I'd go with the LS3 because the extra power would be nice, but I think there will be a big upcharge for that engine. So since we probably won't run that much weight a majority of the time I was wondering if the 335 will be fine as long as it can plane out on the occasion when we really weight it down.

I did see that Chattwake has his very nice 2011 with the 400hp Raptor for sale, but I probably won't be ready to make a buying decision until after his boat is already sold.

Post subject: Re: A22 engine option quesions
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:13 pm 
Axis Owner

Hey Brett,

I have the 335 with the high altitude prop that comes with the vandall package. The boat performs well fully slammed. I have had the PnP full, 600 pound sac in the bow and 6 dudes in the boat and it gets up on plane easily.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:53 am 
Team Axis

My boat is still available. It may be around by boatshow season in February/March. I plan to winterize it and moth ball it soon for the winter. It's paid off, so at least I don't have to worry about making payments!

The LS3 is a big upcharge - something like $6500. As for the necessity of the big motor, let's put it this way. All b.s. aside. I run 1000lb bags in the rear hatches and the 1235 prop. I'm not much over sealevel here in Chattanooga. When we are learning new stuff or just want to take an easy set, we drop the wedge, fill the factory ballast + the front pnp sac and the rear bags a little over half full (probably 600lbs). With the big motor, the boat gets up and on plane quick. In my experience, the 335 does almost as well under these conditions so long as there are not a ton of people in the boat. Now, sometimes we have more people in the boat and/or we fill the rear sacs to about 750lbs each. That extra 300lbs in the back seems to make a big difference. The boat planes, but it takes a little bit, and the throttle is punched. My friends who run 750's in the rear of their A22's with the 335, they have to add weight to the front or have people run up front to get the boat to plane out (this is with the 1235 prop) if they use the wedge.

When some of my friends come in town to ride who are, or were, pro or semi-pro, or just go huge, we fill the rear sacs as full as possible, fill everything else, throw a 1k bow triangle in the front, drop the wedge, and set the speed at 24.2mph. In my experience, the 335 will not get that weight setup on plane with the 1235 or the core prop. Even the 400 works pretty dang hard to get the boat up to speed wih that setup. Once the boat's on plane, it's fine. The results do justify the means though, because the wake with that setup is friggin amazing.

Coming from a few SANTE 230's with the ZR409, I find that the 400 uses a little less fuel than the ZR in the 230's did. However, the 230's were heavier, bigger, boats. I'm sure the 335 is somewhat more efficient for just running around and for factory ballast. It's probably a toss up when running the pnp bags too though.

I'm ordering a 2012 as soon as my boat sells. If Axis offered the 335, 400 and 450, I'd stick with the 400, because mine has not burned a drop of oil, and has performed flawlessly for 84 hours. With the choices available for next year, I'll just pony up the extra dough and get the 450. I've always erred on the side of having extra power most of the time so that I have enough on the rare occasion that I really need it.

FWIW, I'm not knocking the 335 at all. That's a great motor! It does exactly what it is intended to do, and if you run the factory ballast, wedge, standard pnp bags, and 1235, you will likely be completely satisfied. The big motor is for those people who just want the option to slam their boats to the max, are at super duper high altitude, or just want the power just to have it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:00 pm 

Thanks for the great responses guys. Sounds like the 335hp engine will hopefully be sufficient for our needs. $6.5k for the LS3 is ridiculous! Chatt, if your boat is still around when it comes time to buy I will come check it out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:39 am 
Team Axis

Ok Sounds good. If you don't want the z5 and want the factory stereo, I can get in the low 50s on my boat.