It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: On the launch ramp.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:37 pm 
Team Axis

I've had the a22 for almost a month now and I swear this thing sits super low in the water. I always end up having to power load the boat back onto the trailer. How deep are you all dunking your trailers? I usually end up where the trailer jack is barely touching the water. Should I go deeper? I cringe every time that jack hits water. I've replace countless jacks on the old boat from salt water use.

Post subject: Re: On the launch ramp.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:51 pm 
Team Axis

Try taking a picture next time your out. Are you talking about the trailer bunks being deep but still having to power down bc you can't winch it? I think it really depends on the angle of the ramp and how deep the water gets. I usually go to the same 3 marinas and the ramps are all different. One of them is really long and shallow, so my muffler is pretty much under the water and I still have the boat driver power some to help me winch it down. At a different ramp, I don't back in as far bc the ramp is steeper and the water is deeper. You can always load it half way with the trailer not being as deep, then back the tow vehicle in a little bit more to help it get on the bow rollers. Oh and empty your ballasts before you load, I forgot to empty the front arrow bag once and quickly realized what was wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:16 pm 
Team Axis

I usually just submerge the bunks to loaded it and then once I get it on the bunks and the ratchet hooked up, I back up until water just barely comes over little triangle platform under the ratchet and hand crank it on the rest of the way

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:20 pm 
Team Axis

i agree it depends on the ramp..some ramps the slopes are long and not steep so you can have the bunks just barely submerged and easliy power the boat on...some other ramps are so steep you need to have some of the trailer out or its a pain to get the boat on the trailer.

when i first got our boat i watched the dealer load it on the trailer in a way i had never seen they completely submerged the trailer to the bump stop and loaded it that way...been around boats my entire life and have never seen that so i assumed must be something new with the forked front. I tried it 3 times and was a disaster each time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:35 pm 
Team Axis

When I first got the Axis, I noticed that I was backing in a little too far at the steep/deeper ramp. That caused the rear of the boat to still float and it never would line up evenly on the bunks. Now when I go to that ramp, I know exactly where to stop, and it lines up evenly on the trailer every time now. You can always error on the side of caution, get it on the trailer first, and shimmy back the rest of the way if needed like has been mentioned already. I usually go by how much of my rear wheels are under water as a gauge, but that's not full proof since water levels change.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:54 pm 
Team Axis

Hmm...most ramps I go to I have to submerge the fenders about 4" underwater. Sometimes I'll have to back up another 6 inches and hit brake 'bumping' boat off. I have to use the throttle a little bit to get boat up another foot (correct location) when loading.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:49 pm 
Team Axis

[quote="dhale07"]i agree it depends on the ramp..some ramps the slopes are long and not steep so you can have the bunks just barely submerged and easliy power the boat on...some other ramps are so steep you need to have some of the trailer out or its a pain to get the boat on the trailer.
quote]

Yeah, depends on the slope of the ramp and also the tow vehicle. Using the same ramp we have to have the Suburban at one spot and my sons Tundra with the big tires at another spot.

2012 Axis A22