It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anyone ever sunk there boat?
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:17 pm 
Team Axis

AJWest wrote:
PotatoShack wrote:
The strange thing is I ride goofy so surf on the right side. He made a slow long turn to the left. I'm still in shock on how it happened.

I see. I teach my drivers to come off throttle and spin in place before returning to the fallen rider. I can totally visualize your accident. Those rollers, especially when doing those wide turns can build to the point to where they break over like small ocean waves.

What are you doing to spin in place? My wife and I were practicing this week it was our first time driving a weighted boat. We could get it sometimes but other times we would end up on our own rollers We did not have the boat completly slammed so it was not a big deal but if they were bigger it would have been a problem.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:22 pm 
Team Axis

^Come off of the throttle easy and right before you go into neutral, give the wheel a slight turn. Your rollers should spin you around the rest of the way, wait for them to pass, then slowly idle back to the rider (unless they are in danger or need help).

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:26 pm 
Team Axis

My weight configuration was basically just people. The surf wake was not even good. My PNP bags even floated up. As far as I know it could have been a roller from another boat but I don't recall. I would suggest when surfing to make sure you still have weight in the back regardless of how many people are in the boat. I really think if I had at least the back filled some we would have been ok. But we had just picked up my daughter and her boyfriend and were headed back to the cove to grill. I figured I would just surf over there just for the hell of it. We didn't even try to set it up to surf.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:13 am 
Team Axis

Wow man I am sorry to hear about this hope everything goes smoothly with the recovery and insurance claim.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:20 am 
Boater

I am still trying to wrap my head around this. It seems like the whole nose would have to go under water to take on enough to sink it?? I feel like it would take a massive amount of water to sink the boat. A buddy of mine in a crownline took a massive roller over the nose once and it was a ton of water.... the boat didn't act abnormal but just for caution we sat there till the bilge kicked it out.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:22 am 

Man, I'm sorry to hear that.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:40 am 
Team Axis

How many people were in the bow? Very odd situation indeed, but you are correct that without the stern weight, the bow sits very low.

I'd be willing to bet the driver tried to throttle out of it as well, which can make matters A LOT worse. Best scenario, if the bow is going under and it's too late is to slam the boat in reverse to pull out of it. Throttling through a wake once it's already over the edge is just going to cause more water to flow in. Unfortunately, it takes an experienced driver to know when to throttle up and over or when to bail out in reverse, and that person was in the water.

If the boat ends up for sale dirt cheap, let me know.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:55 am 
Team Axis

boardjnky4 wrote:

If the boat ends up for sale dirt cheap, let me know.

No joke! No tower and a blown big block would be sick in an axis!!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:47 am 

How many people were in the bow? What is going on in the picture? I can see the boat in the background, but it looks like there are a few people standing on something? This is some scary stuff. I know a lot of us have a new A22 that would like to learn something from your unfortunate incident. Give us some more details. I hope everything works out for you.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:41 am 
Team Axis

Man that sucks .... I feel for you .... but there has got to be a piece of the story missing. I am sure we have all taken water over the bow before, I have even seen hoses pop off and the under belly fill with water with out the boat sinking ( of course no that many people 7). that picture is crazy by the way how many people was that? ..... and deff total loss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next