It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Fule tank and winter layup
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:04 am 
Axis Owner

I know no one is ready to talk about this yet but since this is my first inboard I am reading up on winter layup, I have had a boat for years and I have always kept my gas tank full for winter layup. The thinking is that less surface area for the fuel to come in contact with causing less moisture to collect. I have had over 1000 hours on three different boats in Michigan winters and now Atlanta without issue. While reading my owner’s manual for my new Axis, it states to empty your gas tank for winter layup. It seems to me that would cause lacquer buildup along with the moisture problem. We don't have many stations that sell Ethyl free fuel so I use a marine stabilizer also. What are the thoughts and practice of others?

Post subject: Re: Fule tank and winter layup
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:11 am 
Team Axis

I used to fill my tank for storage in NY, but that was contrary to the popular believe that carburated engines should be stored full and fuel injected empty. The idea being FI engine handle water better than stale stale fuel. YMMV. Here in VA, I think Ill just buy a boat heater and keep refreshing the tank ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

lalalalalalalala.... not going to listen to this post.....

Here in texas most people just drain the blocks and throw in some stabil. We normally keep taking the boats out thru November. I have never had a boat that has sat for more than a month.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:15 pm 
Team Axis

Yeah i am curious on peoples thoughts too for VA. i live in in Va beach, where it doesnt get to chilly till about Jan/Feb time frame. but i do want to know about the fuel tank empty or full. This is my first Boat like this. had a I/O before and i always just put Stabil with a full tank.

My ride is staying at the marina where i bought the boat, so i guess ill just ask them there thoughts as well.