It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Buying a new boat. Ran into a problem.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:44 am 

The only way to force my local dealer to give me a better deal was to shop for the same boat at another Axis dealer.

Now I am told by my local dealer that it cannot be done because I can only buy a new boat from a dealer that is closest to my address.

Is this bullshit or not?

I can fake my address but a consumer should be allowed to buy where he wants.

Post subject: Re: Buying a new boat. Ran into a problem.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:11 am 
Team Axis

There are restrictions on where you can buy a new boat. You can't shop dealers against each other on new stuff. That's one of the reasons people in larger markets tend to buy used, because they can pick up a boat from another dealer.

P.S. You ought to just buy my 2011!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:21 am 

Chattwake wrote:
There are restrictions on where you can buy a new boat. You can't shop dealers against each other on new stuff. That's one of the reasons people in larger markets tend to buy used, because they can pick up a boat from another dealer.

P.S. You ought to just buy my 2011!

So why is this "protection" in place?

If anything it only helps the lazy dealers and punishes the good ones.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:50 am 
Team Axis

I was once told by a Skiers Choice dealer it had to do with items covered under warranty. Say you had a local dealer, then one 200 miles away. If the remote dealer had better prices and everyone went there to buy, who is responsible for warranty work? I don't know how the dealer and manufacturer deal with who pays for labor costs for warranty. Is there overhead built in to each boat the dealer purchases, or is it all billed directly from dealer to manufacturer?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:10 pm 
Team Axis

I'm gonna call bs on this one, if another dealer can give you the same product at a better price who is to tell you who to give your money to? Now If you're going back and forth bickering between the two places trying to get a few thousand knocked off saying they can do this and that you may end up burning 2 bridges that could both be good businesses to deal with. But if you just walked in and they gave you a good deal without haggling over prices I'd go with whoever presented the best deal. Just remember you probably will want to take it where you bought it to have any warranty or service work done, some places may feel burned if you bought elsewhere, especially if the competition is close by. I didn't have to worry about this because the closest dealers to me are 150 miles away and they are both owned by the same company. If you're close to a big market just shop around, but in the end don't beat them up over something their customer service can make up for! Boats are still just pleasure toys and they don't really have to come off the price because axis are in high demand right now.

And I'll second chattwake, buy his boat, that all black is slick looking!!!
Good luck with whatever you go with

Last edited by Walter on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:23 pm 

nastya20 wrote:
I was once told by a Skiers Choice dealer it had to do with items covered under warranty. Say you had a local dealer, then one 200 miles away. If the remote dealer had better prices and everyone went there to buy, who is responsible for warranty work? I don't know how the dealer and manufacturer deal with who pays for labor costs for warranty. Is there overhead built in to each boat the dealer purchases, or is it all billed directly from dealer to manufacturer?

Warranty work is paid for by SC so the dealers make the same $$$ if SC pays or the owner pays.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:32 pm 

Walter wrote:
I'm gonna call bs on this one, if another dealer can give you the same product at a better price who is to tell you who to give your money to? Now If you're going back and forth bickering between the two places trying to get a few thousand knocked off saying they can do this and that you may end up burning 2 bridges that could both be good businesses to deal with. But if you just walked in and they gave you a good deal without haggling over prices I'd go with whoever presented the best deal. Just remember you probably will want to take it where you bought it to have any warranty or service work done, some places may feel burned if you bought elsewhere, especially if the competition is close by. I didn't have to worry about this because the closest dealers to me are 150 miles away and they are both owned by the same company. If you're close to a big market just shop around, but in the end don't beat them up over something their customer service can make up for! Boats are still just pleasure toys and they don't really have to come off the price because axis are in high demand right now.

And I'll second chattwake, buy his boat, that all black is slick looking!!!
Good luck with whatever you go with

The Axis dealer that is further away offered me a $2850 discount (boat show rebate) without even asking for it. I am also going to trade-in my 2008 Moomba Outback V and they are also a Moomba dealer so they can offer me more for my trade-in. My local dealer only sells Axis and they did not offer me much for my trade-in.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:29 pm 
Team Axis

Well if they offered it up for you and can give you a sweet deal on your trade I'd go with the moomba dealer as long as they aren't too far away, I also had a trade in when I bought mine, my salesman drove to my house 2hrs away to look at my trade, asked what I wanted to get for it, and made me a really good deal. There are two dealers within 2hrs of me which are both Family Powersports so it didn't really matter where I bought from, I've had work done by both places and they both take care of my needs. The next closest dealers are 300-350 miles away and that's just too far if I were to need work done. I also met these guys at the local boat show. If your local guys weren't at your boat show pushing their products it sounds like you need to go with the guys that want your business more, but that's just my opinion.....someone else chime in if you think I'm wrong

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:54 pm 

The fact that my local dealer is pulling this bullshit makes me want to take my business elsewhere. I got a bad taste in my mouth already and I only spoke to them twice.

The boat show has not happened yet. They are just offering me the same deal they would offer me if I was at the boat show.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:19 pm 

that dealer protection happens here. our CC dealer is such a dick we tried to buy 8 hours away. the dealer 8 hours away said he could not sell due to dealer protection. we then tried to buy in the US and were told the same thing. we ultimately bough used to get away from a very poor dealer.

if you are being offered a better deal on the boat and a higher trade in you really have nothing to lose man... go with the better deal and put more gas in your boat!!!