It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Help with front PNP not filling
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:04 pm 
Team Axis

I just installed the last of the pnp...the front sac. took it out on water today and it wasn't filling. I have the vent on top of bag (bow area), fill with valve on the top back and the drain beneath it. The drain and fill lines route below- the vent through the driver helm.
I tried priming pump using the 'suck' method, and bringing boat to speed. When I got home, I took the circular access panel off and found a piranha pump that turns on when the drain is pressed- however, BOTH the fill and drain for front pnp sac are attached to it??? I double and triple checked it. does someone have a diagram of how the front pnp and pumps/hose routing is installed?

Boat is a 2011.

Thanks!

Matt

Post subject: Re: Help with front PNP not filling
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:54 pm 
Team Axis

pics if you can...

so your fill and empty lines now connected to your sack go into the floor into ONE pump that turns on when you press "front drain"? how are the two hoses connected to the one pump? do you hear a pump turning on when you press '"front fill"?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:14 pm 
Team Axis

Yes...both lines that go into the floor below the chill-ax go to one, non-floor mounted pump. I have slack and can pull the pump back to see it's a Piranha brand, but both lines go into it. Crazy...
It's tough to see through a 5" circle hole, but I'm trying to figure out where I need to mount the fill, etc... I'd like to do myself rather than take it into the dealer, but may just live with it and manually fill a bow sac till Nov or Dec and take it in under warranty. Don't want to waste a weekend of riding!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:14 pm 
Team Axis

I'll try to shoot some pics tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:15 pm 
Team Axis

okay, got it.

1. i am assuming both lines are Y'd to one hose, then to the drain pump. whatever it is you already know which is your drain line and to connect that one. you won't need that "y" connector (if in fact that is what was used to connect both lines to the drain pump)

2. can you hear the fill pump when you turn the "front-fill" rocker?

3. pull your carpet/mat all the way out and there is a big access panel. you should be able to get to the fill pump (located in between the gas tank and front hard tank). there should be a 1/4 turn brass ball valve between the hull and pump, make sure its open (handle in-line with valve). make your connection and you should be good to go.

good luck and take pics if you are able to get in there so we can all see whats going on under there. I have only seen this part of the boat in my build pics I was sent so the above info may be inaccurate. sorry if it is.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:53 pm 
Team Axis

I only am seeing two y connections. I took out one for front pnp bag, and the other is the vent below driver helm. Yes, I can hear a pump when the fill is turned on, but it's not the loose one. I'm attaching some pics. The two hoses that go below deck through the same hole are connected to the 'loose' piranha pump, making a loop from sac to pump to sac. this is in the third and fourth pic
There are a total of 4 down there, so I'm guessing 2 fill and 2 drain? It's tough to see, but I can see 2 that are mounted with the valves on them (fill). The other two should be drain.
I tried taking the big access panel off and the gas tank covers everything :roll:

Guess I'm gonna have to spend some time tracing it out. Anyone have a contact (maybe matt bishop) at Axis? A diagram of what goes where would be great, as working through a 6" hole is pretty crappy!

Matt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:58 pm 
Team Axis

okay, got it. I think I understand what happened. from reading other threads from you, it sounds like your stock hard tank "middle" was working just fine, filling and emptying, correct?

if so, then this is what I think is going on and how to fix it. there should be 3 hose "ends" down in that hole going to the 2 pumps dedicated to your pnp sack. 1 is the drain hose FROM your sack, the 2nd is your fill hose going to your pnp sack, and the 3rd is the drain hose thats supposed to go FROM the empty pump to the starboard side of your boat under the helm, probably Y'd to the hard tank empty hose sharing one exit port.

You will need to remove the 2nd hose (pnp fill), find that 3rd hose and connect it to the drain pump. that pump is directional, so make sure that hose 1 connects to the inlet of the pump and hose 3 to the outlet.

Now hose 2 (that you removed from drain pump) needs to connect to the "front" fill pump outlet, make sure valve is open.

I have a hunch that hose 3 is connected to this fill pump but the valve is closed, so when you push "front fill" you can hear the pump turn on but no water can pass. If you were to open that valve, with your current set up, while the switch is on "fill", water would be pumped out the "drain" port on the side of your boat. when you did your on water test and pushed "front fill", did water dump out of the exit ports or no?

Looking at the pictures I cannot tell if a hose is connected to the front pnp fill pump, if there is a hose there, it HAS to be hose 3. If there is no hose connected, then hose 3 is either loose under your floor or was never installed. Under the helm at the exit ports there should be 4 hoses exiting 3 ports. follow each hose to the pumps to find hose 3.

hope this was not too confusing. good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:10 pm 
Team Axis

okay, I was able to get to a good computer to take a better look at your pictures...

first, yes you are correct that the 4 pumps are 2 fill and 2 empty, and yes the 2 pumps with the valves are fills, and floating pumps are empty.

I can see that both "fill" pumps have their valves open (handles up). I can also see that both the "Fill" pumps have a hose connected to it. You mentioned that when looking under the helm you saw one Y allowing 2 hoses to exit one port. I am assuming you saw the other 2 hoses exiting as well?

Pull the hose connected to the "front fill" pump. check to see if it is one of the hoses that exits the boat, visually if you can or try to blow into that hose and have someone "feel" if air is coming out of one of the ports. If it does, then this is your "hose 3".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:52 pm 
Team Axis

Thanks Johnnydefacto-
The front hard tank has worked without issue. Yes, I did notice when taking these pics that the furthest fill pump (below front passenger locker batteries are in) had the valve shutoff to the 'off' position. I'm pretty sure this was the pump that was turning on when the front fill toggle was set to fill. I'll try and see if it dumps out with a fake a lake in driveway.
The front pnp fill and drain (back two plugs on the axis front bag under chillax) are connected to the floating pump I had in my hand (a loop from bag to pump to bag).
I need to find the pump on when front switch is to fill, and plug this in to the fill for sac. The drain from sac should stay in the float pump (last pic in hand). I agree with you that the drain for front pnp is probably directly attached to the fill pump dedicated for pnp.

Thanks for the help again! I'm gonna try this week, but this damn Texas heat is killer at all hours.

Matt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:32 pm 
Team Axis

matt, yeah man i know about some heat... im here in socal and its been 110+ for 3 days, and has quite a bit of humidity, which we are not used to here. Maybe wake up at 4am and do your work? lol.

thats good news that your front fill pumps valve was off, that partially confirms my hunch that the factory switched 2 hoses. your "middle" tank is working fine, that means the fill pump that had the valve "off" has to be the pnp sack fill pump. looks like you got it figured out and the factory just switched those 2 hoses on instal, if so, easy fix.

good luck.