It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 2011 Axis A20 - Dead ECM - What Do You Think?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:14 pm 
Boater

Hey guys...new to the forum. Recently purchased an AXIS A20. I was unaware that the boat was going to have 2 batteries from the dealer so I purchased a diehard platinum battery (bad ass bat). The indmar manual doesnt say you have to have a specific battery only that it needs so many cranking amps. Well the battery I have exceeds their specifications.

Anyway...the first day I picked the boat up from the dealer I took it home and put all my gear in the boat including my battery I bought (even though they stuck 2 batteries in it already). That same day I took the boat out for a shake down run for about 1 hr. Boat ran great. The next day I was going to take it out for an all day outing and got about 2000-3000 yrds from the boat ramp and the boat started acting funny and finally died. I ended up getting pulled of the lake. Called my dealer and asked them to look at the boat that same day. They looked at it and said the ECM was basically blown and that the only time they have seen this happen was when there was reverse polarity (battery hooked up backwards). They also said that this would have been immediate and catastrophic failure, boat would not have left the dock. Since the ECM is dead I have no way to prove the boat ran because they can not see the hours.

Now, I have been around cars all my life...I know the difference between red(+) and Black(-). After fighting with my dealer over the phone they and indmar say that their solution would be to get a new ECM, put it on and if it didnt do it again, then this was a reverse polarity issue and I was stuck with the bill. Now, if in fact the battery was hooked up wrong why did nothing else in the boat burn, pop fuses, etc?

I have no problem taking the blame for something if someone can just prove to me that it was my fault. When they first started trouble shooting the first theing they saw was a different battery and immediatley started jumping to conclusions. The old ECM is now at Indmar supposedly and I can tell you right now, if they cant prove that it was my fault I will be seeking a small claims law suit. This was a bad way to start my ownership of an AXIS A-20.

Post subject: Re: 2011 Axis A20 - Dead ECM - What Do You Think?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:57 pm 
Boater

192 views and not one comment...guess everyone on this site either work for AXIS/Indmar/Dealer.