It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Brief cold snap concern
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:57 pm 
Team Axis

Ok, I know this topic has been discussed over and over again but want to get your opinions on my specific situation.

Just picked up my new A20 last Wednesday. Before I got to the dealer they had dropped it in the water to test everything out (ballast pumps, etc). We knew the weather this week would be a little iffy and on the colder side, so they went ahead and pulled all of the plugs to drain the block just in case. Towed the boat about an hour and a half home and put it in storage until the last of the cold weather passes and I can start breaking in the engine.

The weather dropped below freezing yesterday and last night but not by much and tonight will be another cold one before it starts warming back up. Should I be concerned about anything at this point? The block has been drained but is there anything else that I should worry about? (Ballast system, etc) I'm really just looking for some piece of mind. Thanks!

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364237796.106393.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364237796.106393.jpg [ 97.22 KiB | Viewed 20198 times ]

Post subject: Re: Brief cold snap concern
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:14 pm 
Team Axis

I have always went by the 24 rule. If its below freezing for more then a 24 hour period or if it drops below 24 then you need to make sure you are fully winterized. By the way your forecast looks there in Bentonville you should be ok.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:15 pm 
Team Axis

? Have you put it back in the water after they drained the block?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:54 pm 
Team Axis

Nope, after they drained it I went straight to storage and has been in there since Wednesday night.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:02 pm 
Team Axis

I wouldn't be worried...plus you said it's in storage. Shouldn't get below freezing inside your unit with those temps.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:45 am 
Team Axis

Ok thanks for the replies. It's about 25 degrees right now but will be warming up to lower 40's by this afternoon. I put a bottled water in the garage last night and it wasn't frozen this morning, so that's a good sign.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:08 pm 
Team Axis

If your garages is attached to your house you have nothing to worry about until you had 3-4 days down into the single digits and teens for lows and not getting above freezing. Even a detached garage will keep you boat safe for a few days of below freezing temps in your area. You can buy a battery powered digital thermometer at Home Depot or Lowes and put it in your garage if you're curious about temps. This thermometer has a feature of recording lowest and highest temps for a specific period. Couple years ago in Texas we had 3 straight days of temps down to low teens and never above freezing. My boat is at big boat storage facility with concrete floors and rolltop doors. I put multiple bottles of water through out just to see if they would freeze...none did. I put the digital thermometer inside the engine compartment and it never got lower than the 40's.