It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tracking fin Ripped off
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:47 pm 

Hey guys i hit something, like a stump and ripped off my tracking fin and am told it is screwed to the fiberglass so that in the event tha you hit something it does not rip a hole in the bottom of your boat just the screws get ripped out. So im going to put one layer of glass on the inside of the boat to give the screws something to grab ahold of and pre drill and tap out silicone and remount/ screw the new one on. Does anyone have any comments? Or has anyone had the center floor open to be able to see the top inside wear the screws come threw the fiberglass to insure that im doing it the rite way? And is the tracking fin just screwed into the fiberglass with no nuts and washers? Any help would be great!

Post subject: Re: Tracking fin Ripped off
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 am 
Team Axis

What a bummer, sorry to hear this. I don't know about Axis and would highly suggest you contact Axis directly for recomendations.

With my old Tige they were made of soft brass and held on by screws and silicone, and woud generally bend before ripping off. I never damaged one but read that they could be re-attached in the same manner, the hull was like 2" thick down there, don't think you should have to add more fiberglass from the inside?? Call axis!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:36 pm 

I have just had the same thing happen to my A22. How was it reattached? Silicon and new screws? How much was the tracking fin.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:34 am 
Team Axis

Those tracking fins are bolted in to the glass and attached with a silicone sealant. Even without the bolts they're a b*tch to remove due to the strength of the sealant.

To re-attached you'll want to first inspect the GRP and Gel for damage, if all good, I would fill and then re-drill the holes into the hull. You do not need to add more glass inside the hull, and it won't be particularly accessible to do anyway as you'll need to grind away the black flow-coat first.

If at all unsure, or you don't have good experience in doing this, take it to your dealer or a decent GRP shop.

Mike
Axis Boats UK