It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tricked out trailer bunker problem
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:20 am 
Team Axis

I have a 2012 boat mate trailer and when I broke boat out and was waxing it I noticed Scratches on bottom of boat inline with the bunkers so when I put boat in water on Saturday I found the Culprit
Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363684720.458960.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363684720.458960.jpg [ 260.64 KiB | Viewed 20258 times ]

Has anyone else had this problem with there bunker carpet. I talked dealer and its not covered under one year Warranty

Post subject: Re: Tricked out trailer bunker problem
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:34 am 
Team Axis

I had this same issue and it too caused severe scratching on the bottom of my boat (both sides).

Turns out not only was the carpet covering the bunkers inferior quality, but also the bunkers were not properly alligned and the bolts were stripped and the bunkers couldn't be properly re-alligned.

Ultimately, Axis agreed to pay the dealer to buff out the bottom of my boat, this was all being done at the same time they had to redo some of the gell coat due to small bubbling in several places.

At that same time they also took the trailer back to Boat Mate Trailers, where it was redone. The bunkers now have a better quality carpet covering them and they seem to line up better when loading the boat. Seems they used a better bolt system to hold the bunkers in place too.

They had the boat almost all winter (two years ago) to complete the repairs. I was insistent that it was not due to operator error and pushed them to fix it. Axis took care of it all for for me, dealer helped me convince them it was a design issue with the trailer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:24 am 
Team Axis

Well, so far my bunks are in good shape still with 198hrs on my boat. I always look at my bunks when I'm retrieving my truck to get the boat out of the water. I've read on Wakeworld that some guys are using the outdoor carpet from Lowes/Home Depot to recover their bunks. They seem to like it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:31 pm 
Team Axis

spyderwebb wrote:
I had this same issue and it too caused severe scratching on the bottom of my boat (both sides).

Turns out not only was the carpet covering the bunkers inferior quality, but also the bunkers were not properly alligned and the bolts were stripped and the bunkers couldn't be properly re-alligned.

Ultimately, Axis agreed to pay the dealer to buff out the bottom of my boat, this was all being done at the same time they had to redo some of the gell coat due to small bubbling in several places.

At that same time they also took the trailer back to Boat Mate Trailers, where it was redone. The bunkers now have a better quality carpet covering them and they seem to line up better when loading the boat. Seems they used a better bolt system to hold the bunkers in place too.

They had the boat almost all winter (two years ago) to complete the repairs. I was insistent that it was not due to operator error and pushed them to fix it. Axis took care of it all for for me, dealer helped me convince them it was a design issue with the trailer.

Oh...and I might add that I have the single axle trailer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:34 pm 
Team Axis

AJWest wrote:
Well, so far my bunks are in good shape still with 198hrs on my boat. I always look at my bunks when I'm retrieving my truck to get the boat out of the water. I've read on Wakeworld that some guys are using the outdoor carpet from Lowes/Home Depot to recover their bunks. They seem to like it.

When they redid mine they used a much heavier grade carpet than what was originally used. The original carpet cover was just like the stuff shown in the picture above, the stuff now is at least twice as thick and plusher.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:20 pm 
Team Axis

I back my trailer in deep to where I don't have to winch or power load the boat and also dont have to power off the trailer. I guess that helps with not having to rub the bunk carpet with all that boat weight.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:28 pm 
Team Axis

AJWest wrote:
I back my trailer in deep to where I don't have to winch or power load the boat and also dont have to power off the trailer. I guess that helps with not having to rub the bunk carpet with all that boat weight.

Good call!! That is what I do now just to make extra sure it does not occur again.