It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: going to tour plant.
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:26 pm 

Hello all. I am flying down monday to tour the Axis plant and get some pics of mine being built. I just thought if anyone wanted , I could get some pics of their boat while there. Or I can ask some specific questions etc Just hollar Arlen

Post subject: Re: going to tour plant.
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:40 pm 
Team Axis

Crap. Now I see this. Mine is supposed to be sprayed this week. If I am not too late sad you see a solid Dark Blue A22, can you take a pic?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:17 am 

Not sure if it has shipped yet, but a black and pink A20, if you see would appreciate pics. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:45 am 
Team Axis

All light grey A22 withe the off-white interior

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:39 pm 

Well, There were boats everywhere!!! Malibu and Axis are being made side by side so it was a little crowded. I did see the A20 black and pink, it was in the final stage of detail (prolly a day from completion). All boats that were finished or waiting water test, had a huge white cover over them so I couldnt see the colors. I think my wife got a few pics of the blk/pink A20 I will go through them and shout. Interesting how close the Axis is to the Malibu. I was impressed... Although the Axis is not as detailed as the Malibu, its a better built boat. I will try to get the wife to post up some pics of the tour in the next few days. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:36 am 
Team Axis

So cool, if you have any other info from the tour, we'd love to hear it. That kind of stuff is really interesting...

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:23 pm 

Thanks really would like to see them

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:57 pm 
Team Axis

treedoc2000 wrote:
Well, There were boats everywhere!!! Malibu and Axis are being made side by side so it was a little crowded. I did see the A20 black and pink, it was in the final stage of detail (prolly a day from completion). All boats that were finished or waiting water test, had a huge white cover over them so I couldnt see the colors. I think my wife got a few pics of the blk/pink A20 I will go through them and shout. Interesting how close the Axis is to the Malibu. I was impressed... Although the Axis is not as detailed as the Malibu, its a better built boat. I will try to get the wife to post up some pics of the tour in the next few days. Thanks

Awesome to hear, I have pictures of mine periodically during the build (courtesy of Matt and Adam at Axis) but I'd love to hear about the details that make them better built than the Malibu's. I love mine and think it's "tits" so far!!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:15 am 

Warning this is just my .02 First , both the Malibu and the Axis are made sided by side. The hulls are made identical-same amount of layers , same amount of fiberglass, same paint etc etc. The interesting part was that the malibu has a verry small "upper" body that is fused to the hull and then many many pieces are screwed in to the upper to complete the framework for seats etc. The Axis has a large "upper" with everything already built into the mold-I'm no structrual engineer but when this is fused to the hull, it has to be 10x stronger. They did mention that the vinyl was standard boat grade and that the Malibu had a few mills heavier vinyl. and the seats were squared off in the Axis but the Malibu had fancy curved seats. I'm an old x-star owner and they pointed out that Axis did the pickle fork front end the right way by adding the water breaks - not only at the front but at the rear of the hull also. My x-star would dig water if I slowed too fast while weighted down. If you look close under the front of the boat you can see the extra grooves or lines in the hull. I thought it was there for looks, but they told me that these 'water breaks' push the water away when slowing to prevent this digging.... I like that!!! All other building , testing and detailing is performed the exact same as Malibu. The plant in California closed its 'production' sooo this plant in Louden TN has taken the full load of all production for Malibu and Axis. This plant was desighned to produce 5-6 boats a day- but are now pushing 8 a day, so they are a little behind. And with Axis being so popular so quick, they are back peddling. It takes 5-6 days to complete an Axis. Sorry this was so choppy I haven't sleep in 2 days. If you have any specific questions hollar. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:51 am 
Team Axis

Interesting stuff..thanks for sharing! :)