It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Service Required Alarm
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:36 am 
Team Axis

Sounds familiar. I've been battling a similar issue for 150+ hours on 2015 T23. Mine is fairly reliably only coming on when working the boat fairly high, 4000-4500 RPM, often heavily loaded. At one point Diacom could see some fuel pressure issues.

So this is perhaps trip 8 or 10 to the shop for this issue, but they're going to swap out the fuel pump this time and think this should solve it. I guess we'll see. I'm skeptically optimistic.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:47 pm 
Team Axis

alexandera wrote:
80AMT23 -- just FYI, us with 15's had the same issue and there was a Flash to the ECM that fixed it. Sounded like there was a calibration error in the original program. Your issue sounds exactly the same, but could be different... may be worth asking?

We've already been through the process of re-flashing the ECM, updating it to the latest version, replacing the dash computer, making sure it's on the latest version.

According to the latest series of tests the manifolds are actually overheating, but only between 5-10 degrees over the alarm threshold. They want the dealership to flush all hoses, connectors, and collect all the water to see if there's any debris stuck that could be inhibiting water flow. We've already flushed the manifolds once but that didn't resolve it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:48 pm 
Team Axis

SomeYeahoo wrote:
Sounds familiar. I've been battling a similar issue for 150+ hours on 2015 T23. Mine is fairly reliably only coming on when working the boat fairly high, 4000-4500 RPM, often heavily loaded. At one point Diacom could see some fuel pressure issues.

So this is perhaps trip 8 or 10 to the shop for this issue, but they're going to swap out the fuel pump this time and think this should solve it. I guess we'll see. I'm skeptically optimistic.

Do the higher ups at PCM know yet? I was told that they should have been informed by no later than the 3rd time you've had to take it in. Might be good to get them involved to get some traction if the fuel pump replacement doesn't help.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:59 pm 
Team Axis

Old topic on here but my '16 A20 started doing this behavior with the Service Required alarm coming on and the MIL being lit up on the dash. I don't see any errors in the dash menu. The boat has about 140 hours on it and this seems to happen when we're weighted and surfing or wake boarding.

The first time this happened the alarm stopped coming on and the MIL light went off after turning the boat off for about a half hour. The 2nd time it happened it went away after turning the boat off for about 10 minutes. Today the MIL light came on while wake boarding and the Service Required alarm went off. I turned the boat off and on a few times to try to get the MIL light to go out but it never did. We were at the end of our day so we went to the dock and took the boat out. During the 15-20 mins it took to get back to the dock the Service Required alarm kept coming on every couple minutes.

Did the OP ever get a resolution on this from the dealer or PCM?

Should I take my boat in to the dealer to have it checked or should I maybe try disconnecting the battery cables first?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:24 pm 
Team Axis

Hey sorry, just noticed the bump.

Yes, I'm still dealing with this fucking problem and there's been no action taken to change anything related to this particular problem by the dealership (which was sold to new owners) or by Malibu/PCM since last year. They've looked at things but made no changes. They just keep wanting me to reproduce the problem. I've gotten more information on the problem however to share. The exact issue is EMWT (exhaust manifold water temp) codes 441 and 442. Over temp on each respective manifold. After returning the boat to idle or after cranking it, the exhaust manifold temperate can continue to rise as there's heat obviously generating from the engine and there's not as much flow going through at idle vs at speed, so that's fine. Once you go over 1800 RPM a timer starts where your boat has X amount of seconds (I think 20) to get back under 189 degrees or the EMWT alarms will be thrown. Mine went off twice again this past week, once only on one manifold at 190 degrees and 45 minutes later on both manifolds at 194 degrees each.

How do I know this? Because I managed to get a ECM cable and download the Diacom software and the PCM service manual and troubleshoot the issue myself since that seemed like the quickest way this is going to actually get resolved now. I missed recording the first alarm on Sunday but I managed to record the second and both manifolds get to 211-212 degrees and when we take off and reached 16mph at about 4200RPM the manifolds are only down to 194 degrees and it throws the alarm. It will continue to go off every 5 minutes until either 3 engine start and cool down periods (unsure of time) or manually clearing the code via Diacom. I realized this because I was actively hooked up to Diacom observing the alarms and temperatures but the dash was still throwing Service Required alarms the entire time. This to me sounds like really shitty software design if it's continually warning you of a problem that happened once a few hours ago and it doesn't show you what the problem is without you taking it to your dealer to have them read it with their $700 cable/software. You'd think it would at least show in the Dash Service Alarm menu and you be able to acknowledge it.

If your alarm went off, something happened and short of you having a cable to hookup and read it yourself, you've got to carry it into the dealer. You had something happened and it likely won't go off on your next trip unless it happens again but the code will be stored in the ECM to be read. Have them save the Service Report and email it to you so you can see the exact error code. You can cross-reference it with the PCM service manual and it has a flow chart of exactly what to do in each step of the diagnosis.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:47 pm 
Team Axis

My 2015 A24 did the exact same thing. There was a service bulletin about it and it required a reflash of the computer by the dealer.

In short, they simply raised the set point of the alarm. What's occurring is that when you run "hard" and then immediately shutoff the motor, water sits in the cats and vaporizes. Then at restart it's extremely hot and trips the alarm.

My boat has never done it again since the reflash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:19 am 
Team Axis

Oh the software is completely up to date and I've had a tech from PCM come down and inspect the cooling system, and re-flash the software.

As far as I know the set point threshold is 189 degrees with the current software. If anyone knows any different please let me know. The process where the exhaust manifolds heat up when turned off is called a hot soak, and it's fine for it to do that, and it's fine for the temp to be above 189 when you crank the boat and idle but once it goes above 1800 RPM it starts a timer and it has X amount of seconds to get back under temp. In theory you force more water in at higher RPM and it should cool down 30+ degrees in a matter of seconds, which is what it did when the PCM tech was down in November, of course it was cooler outside and the water temp was cooler to begin with so that's a possible factor. This first started happening July 2nd last year when I didn't even have my ballast bags ordered to even run it that hard. Now that it's warmer it's starting to happen more frequently.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:48 pm 
Team Axis

Thanks for the info. I'm going to bring mine to the dealer soon to see what codes it shows and hopefully get it sorted. Sorry to hear you're still having issues. I hope someone gets your boat figured out soon! I'll follow up here when I hear why mine is doing why it's doing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:47 am 
Team Axis

gtoddh wrote:
Thanks for the info. I'm going to bring mine to the dealer soon to see what codes it shows and hopefully get it sorted. Sorry to hear you're still having issues. I hope someone gets your boat figured out soon! I'll follow up here when I hear why mine is doing why it's doing.

Mark sure to tell them that there is supposed to be a new calibration for the engine!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:50 am 
Team Axis

A22owner wrote:
gtoddh wrote:

Mark sure to tell them that there is supposed to be a new calibration for the engine!

Is there anything I can reference for this? I mean I can say that but if they're not familiar with the issue and don't have anything from Malibu/Axis then where can I direct them towards what you're talking about?