It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 2020 A22 trailer brake reverse lockout issue
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:30 pm 

Just bought a brand new A22. Trailer brakes lock up when backing up. According to the dealer, the trailer has a lockout feature that prevents brakes from engaging with in reverse. Said it uses the reverse lights as the trigger. Did some troubleshooting using two different vehicles and the trailer brakes still lock up in reverse and my truck's (2020 GMC 2500) trailer connection system says there is a trailer reverse light malfunction, however when testing reverse lights on the trailer they work just fine. Trailer came with a small metal insert to stop the brakes from engaging but it will not stay in the slot on the trailer and is useless. Any advise would be helpful. Dont know what to do. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: 2020 A22 trailer brake reverse lockout issue
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:44 pm 
Team Axis

A lot of the new factory trailer brake controllers are looking for a higher amperage load than the LED lights have.

You can probably take your truck to the dealer and have them make a change to the programming to take care of it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:30 pm 

I contacted GMC dealer and there is nothing they can do. The trailer does the exact same thing no matter what vehicle it is hooked to.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:26 am 
Team Axis

dmcc1979 wrote:
I contacted GMC dealer and there is nothing they can do. The trailer does the exact same thing no matter what vehicle it is hooked to.

Did all of the trucks have factory brake controllers?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:45 am 

A22owner wrote:
dmcc1979 wrote:

Did all of the trucks have factory brake controllers?

2019 gmc yukon xl denali
2020 gmc sierra 2500 denali
2020 chevy 2500

all have factory brake controller, but the trailer doesn't have electric brakes and there is zero brake gain on the trailer when in use. My understanding is that the wire from the trailer that typically connects to the electric brake controller is not even in the trailer connector. Making the 7 pin a 6 pin. I contacted the boat dealer and their tech is looking into it, but the dealership is 2.5 hours away and I'd rather not have to take it back over there until its time to winterize.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:22 pm 
Team Axis

The lockout DOES NOT connect to the truck's electronic brake controller. It is a solenoid that operates from the back-up light circuit. When the tow vehicle is in reverse, the back up lights on the vehicle are turned on and the trailer's solenoid is activated - essentially disconnecting the trailer's master cylinder hydraulic lines from the brake calipers.

I have always found it simpler to carry a small C-Clamp and put it on the trailer tongue to block the inward motion that activates the surge brakes. Takes seconds to put on or take off and works no matter what the vehicle's plug wiring is.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:19 am 

WayneTuttle wrote:
The lockout DOES NOT connect to the truck's electronic brake controller. It is a solenoid that operates from the back-up light circuit. When the tow vehicle is in reverse, the back up lights on the vehicle are turned on and the trailer's solenoid is activated - essentially disconnecting the trailer's master cylinder hydraulic lines from the brake calipers.

I have always found it simpler to carry a small C-Clamp and put it on the trailer tongue to block the inward motion that activates the surge brakes. Takes seconds to put on or take off and works no matter what the vehicle's plug wiring is.

Thanks for your response. I figured it had nothing to do with the brake controller since the brakes are not electric. The trailers solenoid must not be working because all the lights are working fine. I just want it to work light its supposed to, especially since it is brand new.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:01 am 

In case someone else runs across this. This is what I use now, as mine had locked up on me for no reason I could tell. I have one of these attached to my trailer. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083K ... UTF8&psc=1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:12 am 

I had the same happening to me with my 2021 A22 trailer on both my 2009 Ram 2500 and 2017 Audi Q7. I think the center pin (rear light) on the trailer connector is a little thin and the contact gets loose on the car plug. I fixed it by gently squeezing tighter the center copper contacts on the car plug, on both cars, and I never had this problem ever again.
Hope this helps!

2007 Bayliner 175 (first boat ever, sold)