It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Mods: Steering, mirror, seat riser
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:00 pm 
Team Axis

Did a few mods today, added a steering wheel from Forever Sharp. I've been trying to do a steering wheel for a year now. Took forever to find the right hub/wheel combo. The stock Axis wheel would embarass a golf cart.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/unmwdhnmml9w6 ... 5.JPG?dl=0

Added the PTM-140 mirror. Mounted it port side. When it was mounted over the drivers window, it was all I could see? Don't know how the heck you're supposed to drive with it in your face. Where do y'all mount yours? I might have to go with the tower mount if I don't like it there. Side note: Didn't know my chubby butt was in the pic!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozohp3lndi9jo ... 6.JPG?dl=0

Also added the seat riser pre season. It's awesome for my 5' tall wife driving when I surf. However, if you're considering it, it does limit the seat being able to swivel once installed.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hg5wf9f1g9apk ... 7.JPG?dl=0

Post subject: Re: Mods: Steering, mirror, seat riser
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:41 pm 
Team Axis

That wheel is sweet would you mind sharing the size/adaptor needed to get it to work? Think I may follow suit as I really am not a fan of the stock set up.

1978 Bandit Trans-Am

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:09 pm 
Team Axis

And the cost of the steering wheel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:19 pm 
Team Axis

What are those covers over your heater vents? Or do you not have the heater? I like the way they look..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:29 pm 
Team Axis

It's for those of us in the south who don't need or have a heater. My 15' A24 is the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:18 am 
Team Axis

It was a long winding journey to find the hub. It uses a 19 spline hub NOT a 3/4" keyed. Unfortunately, when you find 19 spline hub, there isn't a lot of information about the hub dimensions. However, I believe the older boats (Malibu) are 3/4" keyed hubs. I'd guess all Axis are 19 spline hubs and maybe pre 2010 Malibu are keyed?

Once you find a hub, then you need the correct # bolt pattern to match the wheel. This wheel uses a 5 bolt...as does Grant. Jegs sells a 5 bolt 19 spline hub as well that will match up to Grant wheels. There is a Uline hub too, that takes 6 bolts, which "should" marry up to a lot of other wheels at a wide range of costs. Ultimately, after ordering one wrong wheel/hub combo and having to sell it at 75% of what I paid, I wanted the sure thing.

Found Forever Sharp and liked the look of the wheel. It's billet aluminum, so on the back side, it's aluminum knuckled grip. The wrap only covers the front side. The hub is solid aluminum painted black.

I got the wheel for $140, with hub, wrap, and horn cover. They don't have a ton of choices, but you pick all the option (hub included) from the order page. They had a 4th of July sale with 10% off...they tend to offer sales at the major holidays.

Side note: Once you remove the center cover on your steering wheel, there is one nut. It is a 19mm or 3/4" socket. I didn't need a steering wheel puller, but had to whack it pretty good to remove it. I made sure the tilt was at a zero angle to reduce stress on the mechanism. If you can get a puller, would be good to have on hand to save a trip mid job

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:25 pm 

So thanks to is post, I was able to upgrade my steering wheel in my '17 T22. The biggest challenge was getting the old one off...had to pretty much destroy it because the puller wouldn't grab onto it. Needed to cut holes in it for the jaws to grab securly. Went with a Forever Sharp half-wrap wheel (14" Muscle) and the 19 spline marine adapter. With the half-wrap, you can easily change colors etc. if you want. I got two. One "carbon fiber" and the other gray.

I would highly recommend using a puller to remove the old wheel to avoid putting too much pressure on the steering mechanism.

Thanks for the original leg work on the right combination of components.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 97.58 KiB | Viewed 26230 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 109.89 KiB | Viewed 26230 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:29 pm 
Team Axis

Looks good, it's on my winter to do list I can't stand the factory wheel

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk