It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: When was your first time? and last time at a pro event
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

So think way back to the very first time you ever attended a pro wakeboard tour event. and then tell me the last time you attended a pro event?

I remember my first time and it was magical. :) Watching Shapiro try to hit a speed ball in a comp. Watching Kovac hit a huge front. Sitting and talking to Thomas Horrell while he skateboarded(I think wakeskate plans were more his focus). Having Shaun Murray get left by his whole crew and having me drive him to the airport just in time to catch his flight back to Florida. The early days of the pro tour seems to really help bring more people into the sport......but having Mastercraft announce that they were dropping from the tour did not catch me by surprise. I have heard that attendance has really fallen off. Now Supra has picked up the tab and will be doing the tour.

What are your thoughts on the pro tour? Will Supra make changes that will drive more traffic to the stops?

I don't think the magic will ever make it back for me but I do love to see old friends at events and how much some of these young guns have grown up and become great fathers or husbands. I spend more time just meeting with people than actually watching wakeboarding.

Post subject: Re: When was your first time? and last time at a pro event
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:04 pm 
Team Axis

Never been to a pro event but Wake-toberfest was always a good time on Lake Travis. I mean pretty ladies walking around giving away free Deep Eddy Sweet Tea Vodka and laughing at "pro tubing" event.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:32 am 
Team Axis

I think you mean Mastercraft backed out, pretty sure Nautique is still hosting some events. For me, the first contest I went to was somewhere around '08 in Sparks, NV. A few years later I was at the same venue when Rusty landed the first 1080 in a contest. I think that was probably the last one I got to go to, moved to MN after that and now the closest contest keep on being a 4-6 hour drive. I'd like to go but it's not worth such a long haul.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:36 am 
Team Axis

I went to the 2012 pro wakeboard tour event in Knoxville. It was fun to watch the riders but the party was on the boats. A few pros came over to hangout with the tie-up. It was overall fun. Lots of drama with bitches though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

Correction ... Mastercrft

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:55 pm 

I'm pretty sure that regardless of who the title sponsor is, (Mastercraft or Supra) nothing is going to change if the tour is managed the same way it has been done in the past with World Sports and Marketing. My understanding is that there have been major changes behind the scenes personnel wise within the marketing and management of the PWT so hopefully we will see positive results from those changes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:46 pm 
Team Axis

Tnbrooks01 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that regardless of who the title sponsor is, (Mastercraft or Supra) nothing is going to change if the tour is managed the same way it has been done in the past with World Sports and Marketing. My understanding is that there have been major changes behind the scenes personnel wise within the marketing and management of the PWT so hopefully we will see positive results from those changes.

So being relatively new, I'm curious by what you mean about past management? I've never been to an event but I was looking forward to going to some this coming year if I am stateside.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:08 am 
Team Axis

3FRule wrote:
Tnbrooks01 wrote:

So being relatively new, I'm curious by what you mean about past management? I've never been to an event but I was looking forward to going to some this coming year if I am stateside.

Most of the pro's that rode/ride in the PWT thought the format of the tour was stale and it needed to be changed. The past management of the tour never changed the format year after year. There is plenty of information reguarding this issue on WakeWorld.com.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:14 am 
Team Axis

Oh ok gotcha. I'll read up more there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:40 am 

It's more detailed than just the PWT and tour format. Bonnier Corp. or World Sports and Marketing handles the PWT, as well as the major amateur events (nationals and worlds). There have been changes within the organization and I hope the changes will " right the ship" so to speak and get the PWT and the amateur events headed in the right direction in regards to scheduling, marketing promoting etc...... Over the last few couple of years there have been cable nationals held the same time as boat nationals at venues very close to each other. That is a big positive IMO and I hope to see more of this type of scheduling etc.