It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Couple more Questions: drive clanking and water leak
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:45 pm 
Team Axis

I've already put 50 hrs on the boat since I've had it and I'm starting to find little things that need to be fixed.

First off, I have a weird drive clanking noise when I am in gear but at idle speed. The V drive sounds normal while in neutral and at any rpm's above idle while in gear. Our mechanic said that it is gear lash caused from a rough idling engine. My engine sounds to be running smoothly but the rpm needle does move a bit at idle. I would say about a 100rpm difference. Oil level is good and no slipping under load. It's more of an annoyance.

Im right at 250 hrs with the LS3 and the engine has been worked hard, would replacing plugs be the fix? I pulled one plug and it still had the correct gap.

Here is a video of the noise. You can hear the normal clunk going into gear and then the weird clanking noise.

Second, my boat seems to take on water when floating. I can get about 10 gallons of water in my bilge in a matter of a couple hours. I don't see any hoses leaking, I also shut off all my ballast valves and still takes on water. I also check the shaft seal and fresh water flush. I also filled my bilge up with water on the trailer and saw no water leaking from any of the hull fittings. My only ideas are the under water lights or lower exhaust hose. Is there any way I can test that while on the trailer? Any other known reasons that would allow water in the boat: It will take on water while floating with engine off.

Post subject: Re: Couple more Questions: drive clanking and water leak
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:27 am 
Team Axis

kx250frider617 wrote:
Second, my boat seems to take on water when floating. I can get about 10 gallons of water in my bilge in a matter of a couple hours. I don't see any hoses leaking, I also shut off all my ballast valves and still takes on water. I also check the shaft seal and fresh water flush. I also filled my bilge up with water on the trailer and saw no water leaking from any of the hull fittings. My only ideas are the under water lights or lower exhaust hose. Is there any way I can test that while on the trailer? Any other known reasons that would allow water in the boat: It will take on water while floating with engine off.

Have you checked to see if your ballast bag connections are secured?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:37 am 
Team Axis

what's under the waterline at rest? swim platform brackets, rudder, prop shaft, raw water intake, ballast intakes, drain plugs. Maybe bow eye bracket?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:41 am 
Team Axis

I think the clunk noise is normal. every boat I have ever been on has some sort on noise when a gear (forward or reverse) is engaged. its just how it work with no clutch or clutch plates/bands(auto trans). the water thing I think is the bigger issue here, I would want that fixed asap. you just need to make all possible inlets visible and then put her in the water and check them all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:04 pm 
Team Axis

For the leak, I just tightened up those muffler clamps that were pretty loose and siliconed the back side of the under water light holes. Next time on the water, I will check to see if that fixes it.

For the noise, I think the video masks some of the noise. It really is a racket. I really don't think it is normal. I will replace the spark plugs any way to complete my maintenance list.

If it is the damper plate, how do I go about checking for cracks or loos bolts etc? Doing research on malibucrew, people have been describing the same exact symptoms I have resulting in a bad damper plate.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:11 pm 
Team Axis

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iEOpwmZzz-4

This is about how it sounds in person, however it does not make do it in reverse at idle.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:15 pm 
Team Axis

That sounds like some bolts rattling around in there........

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:25 pm 
Team Axis

Exactly. That's why I have a strong feeling that it's not normal.

Would a bad damper plate cause the rattling to be right behind the engine or in the vdrive?

Everything runs perfect and I wouldn't ever know anything was wrong if the noise wasn't audible.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:06 pm 
Team Axis

I can't really say because I've never heard one or fixed one personally, but I have heard the same as you about the damper plate causing noise

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:10 pm 
Team Axis

My drive train is still under warranty, should I just say screw it and run it until the noise gets even worse or until it breaks? I really just don't want to be stranded on the lake and I don't want to be blown off by the dealer saying that the noise is normal.